Good source for batteries in Maine or NH

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Good source for batteries in Maine or NH

Post by preserved_killick »

I'm looking to buy two 6V golf-cart batteries, somewhere in Maine (Portland area) or NH.

Battery World in Portland has some brand (not trojan) for $99 each. I've heard such good things about Trojan or US Battery I'd prefer those brands.

Anyone know a good source??

-Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Maine Sail

Or...

Post by Maine Sail »

Or Ed's brother Dave at Battery World on Walton Street in Portland. I buy all my wire, crimp connectors and batteries from Dave now as Ed's price on Trojan's has become rather offensive (used to pay $61.00). They are both good to deal with but I give the slight edge to Dave in terms of price and service..

The 6V's at Battery World are great batteries and I've used them before with zero issues. They are made by Superior battery (a smaller manufacturer who actually still makes their own batts). Last time I checked a T105 was in the vicinity of $165.00 but the last Superiors I bought were about $72.00 so they've both gone up..

P.S. Dave will often give you a better deal if you just ask. "Dave what's the best you can do if I buy two or four as opposed to one?" He'll usually just knock some off if he can he's a good guy!!
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
megalops
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by megalops »

I need to replace my house bank, which is currently 2 8ds @ 200 ah each. I'm thinking I'll most likely go with 6V but I have two questions.

1. Is it worth popping the extra $ for trojans? I'm looking at the T-105, or should I go with an equivilant?

2. T-105s are about 220 ah right? So four t-105s would be equivilant to 2 8d? My dealer seems to think I need 6, but I can't figure out why.

Thanks
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

The t-105 is rated at 225 amps @ 20 hr. So 4 wired in series and the parallel would give you 450 amps @ 12 volts.

Of course your dealer thinks you need 6, he's the one selling them. Honestly I can't answer that question without knowing your amp hour usage. 675 amps will mean fewer charging cycles and longer life but at a cost of 125 more pounds and $250 more dollars.
The board does not cut itself short!
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

I used to use Trojans but found no significant longevity gains over any other 6V battery. A bunch of buddies I know are and have been using both Costco (Kirkland) and Sam's Club GC2's with zero problems. When T105's were $61.00 no problem but now they are over $160.00 each. Not worth the additional expense IMHO.

BTW the last set of batts in my boat lasted five years of on the hook cruising 24/7/365. They were charged only by a stock "dumb regulated" Westerbeke 72 amp alternator and one 80 amp solar panel. When I bought the boat they were still performing flawlessly but me being me I still bought new batteries as I always do at the five year mark..

These miracle batteries that lasted five years of dumb regulation and 24/7/365 cruising, mostly in the hot equator areas, were Wal*Mart deep cycles !!!!!!!!
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
megalops
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by megalops »

I've been quite happy with the capacity of my 2 8d deep cells, it satisfied our needs just fine until they got old (4 yrs) and have lost a lot of their ability to hold a charge.

In typical cruising we could go 2 to 2 1/2 days on the hook and still be at >50% charge level.

I'm thinking of the 6 volts because they are more compact and I have heard more tolerant of abuse.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

All I can add to this discussion is that I love my Trojan T-105s and would highly recommend them to anyone. I am on my second set.

I think their main advantage over 8Ds is that the T-105s are much easier to move around when you need to. No one enjoys moving an 8D, ever.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Tim wrote:I think their main advantage over 8Ds is that the T-105s are much easier to move around when you need to. No one enjoys moving an 8D, ever.
Truer words have never been spoken...
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/