Rustoleum Marine Paint

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Rustoleum Marine Paint

Post by Case »

While at the local Lowe's, I saw a little display niche filled with Rustoleum marine paints. It had primer, spar varnish, topsides paint, and yes, antifouling paint (first time I saw it).

I looked at the white topsides paint can, read the directions for application on wood. My eyebrows rose when I read the directions. Instead of the usual sand and prime then paint blah blah, Rustoleum recommended applying thinned spar varnish first. Then apply paint or primer - sorta suggesting primer was optional but the thinned varnish bit was NOT optional...

I've heard about people varnishing wood then painting over it so to have the option of having it bright finished in the future. That's old news to me but it was news that at least one paint manufacturer prefers you to varnish first before painting.

That said, is Rustoleum's marine paints any good? I have a couple of crapastic wooden oars that needs painting (too ugly for varnish).

- Case
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

This is about the Rustoleum spar varnish, not paint specifically, but it is from a member here, Charlie J. I'd let him pipe in, but he's busy driving away from Ike right now (Tehani is anchored out in a cove with four large anchors and about 20-1 scope - cross your fingers for her).

I don't mean to use someone else's words, but it sounds (from this one experience) like you might want to be a bit leery -- at least make a test sample before using it on a real project -- so it seems worth mentioning.

I did a quick search where I remembered him posting, and here's what he had to say (he tried it because Laura was able to get a good price on it at work):

Charlie J on another forum wrote:Product test review- Rustoleum Spar varnish: June 26, 2008

Beginning to fail after three weeks exposure to the Texas sun. Doesn't flow well, doesn't cover well and certainly doesn't hold up well.

I continue to recommend Z-Spar 2015
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

I remember that comment. Not really that interested in Rustoleum's varnish, though. Just interested in the paint itself and the version I looked at required Rustoleum's spar varnish to be applied first before the paint.

Hopefully Tehani makes it. Ike doesn't look too nice... could pick up more strength while barreling to Houston. Gas prices may go up suddenly for a while, that region is among the major refining nerve centers on this planet.

- Case
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

My comment was slightly off topic; I realize that. Still, not sure I'd want to deal with the spar varnish even as a base coat, if it's anything like as bad as Charlie found it to be.