Mounting Transom Boards Hardware

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Mounting Transom Boards Hardware

Post by BALANCE »

Or, in my case, cabin side boards. Since I'm a double ender and making two boards, I thought I'd put them between the two most aft port lights.

They will be mahogony, gold leaf, etc. I'm doing them myself and will post pics when done.

What do you suggest I mount them with? Bronze or brass bolts with acorn nuts?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

30 views and no pearls. harumph.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

BALANCE wrote:30 views and no pearls. harumph.
LOL, well, I have no pearl, but I'll throw out a suggestion:

Drill holes through the cabin sides in the appropriate locations and screw from the inside out into the name boards. Use bronze or SS oval head screws with or with out finish washers. You can either bed the entire name board or use some form of shallow stand-off and bed these only. This way your name boards will be unblemished by fasteners or bungs, and still relatively easily removable.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Sorry, I guess I missed that too. I agree with Hirildone. Use screws from the inside. Here's mine.

I used wood screws with washers, but I also used 5200 Mahogany to bond and seal this on my transom.

How did you have your boards made?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen