Oak Posts

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
stone
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Oak Posts

Post by stone »

Does anyone have a source for 4x4" Oak posts. I need to replace my two existing posts for my decked stepped mast on my Chris Craft. Cant find anything local. (Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach,NC)
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

You need two 4x4 compression posts?

If in fact you really need it(them) to be that thick you may just want to laminate it(them) up from thinner stock. A glued up piece is stronger and more stable than a solid one piece column.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
stone

Post by stone »

Yea thats plan B, but i would still prefer a solid piece. In this case I see no need to re-engineer what my designers already had.(S&S)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just curious: Is that an early '60s Columbia 29? I've always thought those were neat boats.

(I thought about one for myself but the accommodations plan just wasn't "me.")

What do the posts rest on at the bottom? I mean, where does the force transfer to?

Rachel
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Odd that a local lumberyard can't get an oak 4x4.

It would take an hour's time to laminate one up though. Much quicker than spending a day searching or waiting for one to be shipped to you.

There might be a local wood you could substitute the oak with too.
In this case I see no need to re-engineer what my designers already had.(S&S)
But didn't their design just fail or is there another reason for replacing them?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

It's easy to laminate, and you will get a more stable structure. Surely, you can find a local lumberyard, perhaps even a local sawmill. The problem will be in getting nicely seasoned white oak (red oak is much less resistant to rot but is cheaper). Clear and straight grained will count majorly for stability (against twist and warp) in solid baulks, while a little waywardness in the individual pieces in a laminated structure is OK.

Y'gotta' seal that end grain, top and bottom, and also the surfaces within joints and touching those bearing plates, whichever wood you end up with. I'd seal in neat epoxy, then bed in 5200 or similar. That post structure would have lasted forever if it had stayed dry, and the damp collects in the joints.

By 'whichever wood', I also suggest that there are other choices besides solid oak. Douglas Fir, for example, is stronger and lighter. You can also go with 'Microlam' or 'Paralam' to name just a couple trade names for engineered wood which is veneer or wood fiber glued up with Resorcinol or similar waterproof glue. You can veneer or paint the stuff.

A fellow in our marina has a Chris Craft 37 (which Indian is it?), a well kept, gorgeous old S&S boat. He's enjoyed replacing the carbon steel components backing up the shrouds and stays. I'll ask him about his posts.
stone

Post by stone »

No, not a Columbia. Its a 1965 Chris Craft Capri 30(Sparkman and Stephens). There was no failure. My boat was neglected for years before I got it hatches open etc and filled with water ,so most of the interior wood was rotten and moldy. I have completely stripped the inside tossing just about everything and have installed new bulkheads etc,and these post no longer fit in with the new interior. Again I am aware of laminating ,but would still prefer a solid piece of timber. Thanks for the replys. The 37 is called the Apache. Do you have a source for the fir?

Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The back pages of a woodenboat magazine should give a few sources somewhere nearby, but a solid clear 4x4 white oak post will be pricey.

Laminate. Really.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oops, wrong guess on my part.

That's a pretty hull shape. Looks like a project, so you're in the right place :)

I've heard rumors that the Chris Craft sailboats used mild steel plates inside (?) the deck for backing plates on deck hardware, but never knew if it was true. Have you found those in your boat?

More photos would certainly be welcome :)

Rachel
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

That boat has nice lines... she's gonna be a beauty!

Call around to the guys that drive pilings and put in docks. They use a lot of massive white oak to tie pilings together under docks.

The boatyard I am in uses a place up on Radio Island half way between Beaufort and Morehead City that is a supply house for docks. Left side of 70 when you are about to cross the draw bridge into Beaufort. It's on the north side of the road, and looks over the Beaufort channel.

Those guys can get air dried salt treated white oak... I've cut a ton of it. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place... or pull it up on the yellow pages. Not heading down this weekend either. For sure they have 4x4's on up to around 10"x6" they might have bigger, but I haven't had to cut anything larger than that...

Actually, if you call Ace Marine and Rigging in Morehead City, and ask for Mel he'll probably know somewhere down in Wilmington that'll have what you need... or at least be able to put you in touch with someone that does.

If you head up to Beaufort, Atlantic Veneer is in there... and will probably beat the price of whoever you are using for marine ply and veneers.
Last edited by Zach on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Douglas Fir, for example, is stronger and lighter
Stronger per pound than oak right? I am pretty sure oak is stronger overall but it is also rather heavy.

White oak is more rot resistant but we are talking a mostly dry interior so I wouldn't run from red oak either and red is much easier to find. Definitely seal it up well in either case.

A local sawmill might be the best bet for finding what you need. Or one of those people that drive around with their portable mills and cut up individual trees. They may be hard to find unless you know someone but you could check with the local tree service company and they could tell you where to go. Otherwise, yes, WoodenBoat magazine will definitely have a source. No discounts there though.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

No, I think stronger per square inch.

I Googled to check: http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm. Unless I'm reading too quickly, they're comparable in compression along the grain with one Fir species a little better and lighter than most of the White Oaks; most Firs are not as good, but still lighter. Without running the numbers, looks like pretty they're close per pound.

Rachel's right on the carbon steel backup plates, like my friend's Apache. The keel is cast iron, too; he suffers every year staunching the diminishing of his ballast. Makes you have thoughts about keelbolts.

The Apache has the less-usual galley in place of a settee, how about yours?
stone

Post by stone »

Zach, where in NC are you? I am familiar with Atlantic Veener. Thats where all of my bulkheads are from. I will be going thru Beufort shortly on my way to Hatteras for a Regatta on the 23rd. If you happen to remember the number let me know. I cannot speak for the other Chris Crafts but my Capri does not have steel imbedded in the decks for back up plates.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm in Greensboro.

Beaufort's my stomping grounds... Or at least, where I try to avoid running aground! (Grin) ... and do a lot of fiberglass grinding.

The place is on the left immediately before you go across the Graydon Paul Bridge on highway 70. as you are heading towards Harkers island. It is on the water... 34 degrees 43'23.7" N 76 degrees 40' 15" W

I'll do some calling around and see if anybody I know, knows the name.

P.S. How do you like the yard you are in Wilmington? I'd like to move the boat down that way, shaves almost an hour off the drive...
1961 Pearson Triton
stone

Post by stone »

Just checked your website. I am getting ready to do a VW bus as well. My boat is actually in Hampstead about 30 miles north(Anchors Away). I hope to have it in the water this winter and bring it to my neighbor hood marina and finish out the interior. The Vinlyester from US Composites is good stuff. I will send you a pm with my contact info.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Stone,

Stopped by Saturday after they were closed... Doh.

Anyway, the street address:
559 Highway 70 Beaufort, NC.

Tried pulling up a telephone number for them, and it pops up as Ace Marine! Give em a call at 800-622-7592 and ask for Mel.

Or just drive down and look for the big Blue Building with "Marine Piling and Lumber, Galvanized Hardware" on it in huge white letters.

(Wishing that had been a more fruitful pursuit...)

Zach

P.S. Buses are a lot of fun... and plenty of room for plywood! (Grin)
1961 Pearson Triton
kendall
Master Varnisher

Old post but....

Post by kendall »

If you haven't found the posts yet, look for anyone making pallets or skids, most are made with hardwood.
There's a place up here in michigan that makes them, and I've made a few trips to their shop floor and snagged some nice chunks very cheaply.

Ken.
deckhand

Post by deckhand »

haven't touched white oak since I became addicted to black locust. terrific wood that is very reasonable to purchase
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn