Lifecaulk, 3m 101 or ? for sealing seams exposed to UV

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
James384
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Lifecaulk, 3m 101 or ? for sealing seams exposed to UV

Post by James384 »

Last year I used 3m 4000 UV to put a fine bead of white sealant along a ragged edge between exterior varnished teak and the adjoining painted fiberglass. The idea was to reduce water getting under the edge of the varnished teak while making an attractive narrow bead of white sealant over the rough joint.

This year the 4000 UV is powdering off and some spots are a sticky mess underneath. In another area I used black polysulfide lifecaulk and so far it is holding up well.

This must have been covered here before but I missed it. Anyone have successful experience with white lifecaulk, white 3m 101 or something else?

James
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Lifecaulk, 3m 101 or ? for sealing seams exposed to UV

Post by Hirilondë »

James384 wrote: Anyone have successful experience with white lifecaulk, white 3m 101 or something else?

James
Either is quite fine for your application, so is Sikaflex 291 LOT.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wouldn't the white 3M 101 yellow when exposed to the sunlight? Or am I remembering that wrong...

(And for that matter, I think white Lifecalk is also polysulfide, so maybe that would have the same yellowing issue?)

Did anyone ever determine what's actually in 3M 4000? As I remember it they were less than forthcoming about the ingredients (though I haven't looked at it myself).

Rachel
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I want to know too!!! I have 5 stanchion bases to put down a windlass and a bow cleat.

The stanchion gates I did last year were life caulk in white and it is now a nasty yellowy/brownish mess.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I don't believe polyurethane yellows (4200, 291, etc.). I'll double check today and report back if I'm wrong (haven't done any caulking lately to refresh my memory).
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Rachel wrote:(And for that matter, I think white Lifecalk is also polysulfide, so maybe that would have the same yellowing issue?)
Rachel
Lifecalk does yellow. I don't know about the others.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Rachel wrote:I don't believe polyurethane yellows (4200, 291, etc.). I'll double check today and report back if I'm wrong (haven't done any caulking lately to refresh my memory).
I've had 4200 turn yellow and get cracked and turn "dusty".
I haven't had it happen with 5200 (back when I used it for stuff like this, before I every had to remove it).

I've also had this happen with 4000UV, but not all the time. I would recommend a call to 3M's help line to figure out whats going on. Its not supposed to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if its because it passed its expiration date but Waste Marine sold it to you anyway... of course 3M doesn't really put an expiration date on the stuff either.
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I switched to 3M 101 after theLifeCalk I used yellowed horribly. The 101 is considerably more resistant to yellowing, in my experience.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com