My new to me Westsail32

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

My new to me Westsail32

Post by BALANCE »

Hi folks, my first post/question as the owner of BALANCE!

Does a company exist that custom makes propane tanks? Mine is in the one and only lazarette in the cockpit. I would keep it there if I could get a sort of triangular one that would fit flush in the aft end with a door opening in the front instead of the top...

Thanks, Nanette

(editing I for Hi)
Last edited by BALANCE on Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Welcome, Nanette!

I imagine it's possible to get custom tanks, although I've never known of anyone to get it done. I notice that most propane storage devices are some form of cylinder (even huge storage tanks), so I have a feeling the cylindricality of them is important from a strength perspective.

Also, I have a feeling you'd find people reluctant to fill an "odd" tank, even if it were technically up to spec.

I lived and sailed on a Westsail 32 for a while -- many happy memories. They are a bit tough when it comes to propane storage. We had a custom box (built by PO) that filled in the after half of the cockpit and held two 11# tanks (we converted from 1 25# tank and found the two much handier for a variety of reasons). That setup worked pretty well, even though at first I thought "Ugh."

I can't wait to see photos of your boat! :)

Rachel
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

Welcome to the forum.
I would be very surprised to see a propane tank in any shape other than cylindrical, or perhaps spherical.
Propane tanks qualify as pressure vessels, and as such must meet specifics of engineering and testing. It is very difficult to engineer a pressure vessel in any shape other than round, and if someone did engineer, and test a triangular pressure tank it would be so heavy you would have a difficult time handling it, and you would end up paying standard industry rates to engineer and build the tank. Also, the firm I work for, which builds pressure vessels would have to charge in excess of $10,000 to engineer, register, build and test such a vessel, with no guarantee that the Govt. agency that controls these things would accept the unusual design.
Unless there is something I am totally unaware of, sorry, You will have to live with what's out there.

Feetup
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Hi Nanette (formerly Scout, right?),

How much vertical clearance do you have? If the goal is simply to keep it at the rear of the locker, why not just construct a simple box or frame that fits flush against the back of the locker?

I really like the Westsail 32's, by the way. They're distinctive, but still classic looking and they just exude sea-worthiness. Congrats on the new boat!
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Yes to all!

Rachel, this was the boat you lived on, that I've seen you to refer to in the past?

218, that's my existing problem, vertical clearance. It's bolted on forward end of lazarette, under a lip that covers 3/4's of the top of the tank. If it went to the aft end the lip is deeper, ergo a door, vs. a lid (in my fantasy). What prompted thses thoughts is this link, (I don't want what he has, btw)

http://picasaweb.google.com/jaybietz/Py ... MiscPhotos

Thanks for the kind words on WS32's, I love this boat.
Scout is safe and sound and still loved and cared for by Brian.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Another option, perhaps

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I grew up sailing on a Westsail 32 on SF bay. She had two propane tanks mounted in fiberglass lockers mounted to the boom gallows. Not the most attractive, but functional.

Here's a picture:

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

BALANCE wrote:Rachel, this was the boat you lived on, that I've seen you to refer to in the past?
Yep. (That said, I've been lucky enough to live and sail on two different-yet-similar boats, so sometimes what I've posted might have referred to the other one, which was a Baba 30).

I was much more involved with maintenance and mods on the Westsail though, and we did quite a bit of it on that boat. I'm at work now, but I can post some photos of the propane locker later if you'd like me to.

I should add that this particular Westsail is (still) owned by a friend of mine, who's actually a member here, although I don't think he reads the board much.

This'll be fun having you here with a new-to-you W-32 :)

Rachel

<dying for photos>
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

OK, pictures...

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Woof! Woof-woof! [Hey there! nice boat!]
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Nanette quit following me! Just kidding nice to have the company of another westsailor
The board does not cut itself short!
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Rachel, too funny!

Tom, am I following you? Where have we gone? (read huh?)

Now, back to my propane quandry!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
David

Post by David »

She looks like Warm Rain, Mate's Westsail.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

I wish, then I'd be answering questions instead of asking.

Speaking of which, with more research I have found that you can buy the tanks from an RV supplier at a fraction of the 'marine' price.

If a box goes on deck I still can't figure out how the hose should exit the box (high or low) and, if high, how do you get through the deck or cabin roof and not be an eyesore. I'm thinking that either fore or aft of the mast would be best for multiple benefits, perhaps a raised grated bottom. And from here I'm stumped.

Comments?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Tom, am I following you? Where have we gone? (read huh?)
Nanette,

I'm the same Tom you emailed from the Westsail site regarding my foredeck propane box.
The board does not cut itself short!
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Rachel, any chance you could post the pictures you mentioned. Would also love to know what mods you did.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nanette,

I tried to post them before but there was something wrong with the thumbnail links, then I got distracted and forgot. I'll get back to it.

Rachel
gottord
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Blue Moon
Boat Type: International Folkboat #175

Beautiful

Post by gottord »

What a nice looking boat!!! I love Westsail 32's....Classic!
...The Peoples Boat...