Engine control recess?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JMS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Engine control recess?

Post by JMS »

Seems a similar piece is available commercially but can't remember where. IIRC, it had about a one-inch lip around the edge to facilitate mounting. Any ideas? Thanks.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)

1976 Cal 2-27 No. 203
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

I have this strange affliction that makes me want to fabricate everything, so please forgive me when I say that such a molded part can be made without too much effort, at less cost, and probably more to your needed dimensions.

I made a similar engine gauge recess, and I recall Tim did one as well recently.

I have some photos of the construction of mine if you are at all interested.

Joe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Joe's recessed box is nice because it's flush and integrated with the surrounding laminate.

If you need to add it after the fact, though, you'll need an external flange for mounting and weatherproofing. This was the case with the box that I built last fall, which had to fit into an already-refinished cockpit. This also makes it removable for service of the components within, if necessary.

The process begins here and continues through a number of the subsequent daily logs. It was actually a fun little project, though time-consuming.

Custom molded faucet box

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JMS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by JMS »

Thanks for the replys, guys.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)

1976 Cal 2-27 No. 203