"Coelan" Varnish

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
WayneS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

"Coelan" Varnish

Post by WayneS »

The boast about this synthetic varnish is that it is extremely UV resistant, high gloss, non skid, resists wear.... does everything but your laundry, and is supposed to last ten years or more with no maintenance-- there are significant numbers of people around who indicate that their experience bears that out. Pictures on the web indicate that it produces a very nice glossy finish. Some claim it is very suited for decks and will stop deck leaks, but the general view is that that is only true if the decks are put in good shape before the Coelan application.

It is expensive. Imagine that.

It has been in use for many years, apparently, in Europe, and is available in Australia. But I do not know of any USA or Canadian dealers for it.

Do any of you folk? Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks for any news on this.--
1964 Frisco Flyer "Sumatra"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The primer costs ?35 per 1 literand the finish poly costs ?36 for 3/4 liter or about $70 for 1 liter of the primer and about $100 for a liter the finish material. And to top that off you need their special thinner.

http://www.tradboats.com/paintvarnish.html

I think I will wait for some sort of track record to reveal itself before I buy any.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

For some reason the phrase "usd for x years in Europe" always makes me nervous. Seems like they are trying to hard to impress us rube colonists.
The board does not cut itself short!