epoxy

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
diving in
Bottom Paint Application Technician

epoxy

Post by diving in »

I just recently purchased a 1960 Pearson Triton, hull #122 and I have a lot of work ahead of me. This forum and Tim's web site will be my guide to taking on this restoration project. I saw the list of materials needed for an epoxy starter kit, but how much resin should I purchase to get me through the whole project (deck re-core, hull...etc.) as I'm sure it is worth it to buy in bulk?

thanks,
steve
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Start with a 5-gallon kit. You'll use it all, and then some.

I think we need some details and photos of your new boat. You can't just say you bought a Triton and not share all the gory details with us!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
WayneS

Non-allergenic epoxies

Post by WayneS »

Have a great time-- a good Triton is a fine boat.

If you are going to do a lot of epoxying, you might want to check out some of the purportedly non-allergenic epoxies. The possibility of developing an allergic reaction is significant... chronic skin disease is no fun.

Two that I have heard are good are MAS epoxies and MVS epoxies, both made for marine use, the former more widely available and the latter a little-known one that I've been using after developing a reaction to West epoxies; I get it on line.

Might want to give yourself a dousing with a barrier cream, like "Glove in a Bottle," too.

Wayne
1964 Frisco Flyer "Sumatra"
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I am a good way through my third '5' gallon tub of epoxy. I might pick up a fourth to get me through. You probably don't want to know that yet...

Yes, definitely, what are your plans?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
diving in

Post by diving in »

hey, thanks for the replies. I posted som pics in the projects section. Whim is still in the boat yard, i'm moving her at the end of the month and will be able to give more details and some pics of the inside, it's pretty bad! most of the inside has already been stripped down though, so that should save some time and effort.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Welcome, diving in!

"Whim" is a great name, I think.

Now I'm off to the "Projects" section to see the new-to-you Triton.

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Welcome "diving in". Rachel likes your boat's name, but I like your forum name. There's nothing like admitting to what you have just done! :) Have fun with your project.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Welcome to the MADNESS! Check out Raka epoxy, I really like it because of the price and that it is a small business. I find I am less reactive to it than West System.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay