Stainless Steel Brads

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Stainless Steel Brads

Post by heartofgold »

I have an 18ga brad nailer, which I purchased to handle small trim. I am having a problem, however, locating suppliers of appropriate nails which are stainless steel. I have heard of some staples which are "monel," a nickel/copper alloy, which are suposed to be very corrosion resistant.

Any ideas or suggestions on which is better and/or where to find these products?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I hope someone else chimes in here, because, while I don't have a firm grasp on the metallurgy behind it, in my mind Monel is "better" than stainless. I wonder if perhaps it doesn't have the need for oxygen that stainless has? That's one thing that has put me off stainless for many things.

But then I'm a certified bronze-ic :-)

--- R.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You won't go wrong with monel staples or nails. This is an excellent, durable material that is virtually unsurpassed in terms of corrosion resisance. If you can get monel, and can accept the high price, this would be the premium choice. But stainless is really just fine for most things too, as we all know.

I don't have time to check right now, but I think Jamestown Distributors has a selection of monel and stainless steel staples and quite possibly brads.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

I've purchased stainless finish nails for my Porter Cable finish gun from Swan in Baltimore. I wouldn't be surprised if they had brads. Bought lots of stainless screws from them too - been a while, though, so I can't give you a website or phone # off the top of my head. Try Google-ing them.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's www.swansecure.com.

They seem to have a wide variety of products and some interesting and unique screws, all in stainless. I didn't see any brads, but they could be hiding there somewhere.

Thanks for the tip, Mike...I'd never heard of them, but it looks like a good source!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Great company - I called with a question once ond spoke with one of the Swan family. Shipping was scary fast, too. I hadn't looked at their site in a while - found this page:
http://www.swansecure.com/fasteners106/ ... oducts.asp

Good luck.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24