MAS Epoxies

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

MAS Epoxies

Post by Tim »

Post your experiences with MAS epoxies here.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

MAS Resin

Post by JetStream »

I don't have much experience with the other epoxies, although I've used West on a number of projects. For my restoration, I researched a lot of users and chose MAS for its better wetting properties when glassing with heavy cloth. It has a side benefit of no blush on the slow hardener. So far, I'm impressed with using it. I use fillers from other companies as they are cheaper than the MAS fillers.
Bruce
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

mas epoxy

Post by The Good Goose »

I used Mas for my entire deck recore. It was much easier to use then west. I think it might go off in large volumes easier then west. I had a couple of batches go on me but I used close to 10 gallons of the stuff. Not knowing any better I used it on mat(The chopped up stuff I always get them confused). I wet the mat out as well as the glasss and it wet through no problem.

I use west for my woodworking projects but I use mas for any glass work. The thinner consistency is way easier to work.

Brock
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Credit Where Credit is Due

I recently received the following email note from JB Currell, owner of MAS Epoxy.

Hi, I was reading about your restoration and came upon yur artical regarding the use of MAS Epoxy. I am the owner of MAS Epoxy and am sad to see you had a poor experience with our material. Your discription leads me to believe you used our slow hardener. This stuff is designed to be used when sheathing large projects like 60 foot cold molded boats when recoat is required and they cant get back to the job right away. normally you would use our FLAG Resin and Medium hardener for a project like this. I would be happy to send you some to try
Thanks
JB Currell
CEO MAS Epoxies
smooth sailing

Although I didn't hear back after I responded to his note, I appreciated that he took the time to write. In fact, his guess was correct: my article described my experience with a putty made of normal MAS epoxy resin and slow hardener, which took forever to cure.

Based on this note, and the experiences of those who have used and liked MAS resin, I decided to give it another shot for some projects currently underway (as of October 2003) on Glissando. I purchased regular low viscosity MAS resin and medium hardener for use in normal laminating, and have been pleased with the results to date--at least for laminating. Based on Mr. Currell's suggestion, however, I will not use the laminating resin for mixing putties.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating