Bronze, or is it brass clevis pin?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Scout

Bronze, or is it brass clevis pin?

Post by Scout »

Either way, I need one. It's the pin that keeps the boom connected to the gizmo that connects with the mast. How's that for a cry for help?

It measures 3.25 long by 3/8. This is a 1965 Pearson Invicta. Anyone who cares to enlighten me as to what the gizmo is called is welcome but most welcome is where in the heck to I find a pin like this?

Thanks,
Nanette
S/V SCOUT
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Gooseneck is the name of the gizmo - though I don't know offhand where to find a replacement part. If I were you, I would wait patiently for Tim or Nathan to reply to your post. They are the forum's two most prominent hobgoblins of used sailboat hardware. If you give them a few hours, I'm sure they'll provide a source and, in all likelihood, a picture just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing here. I'm still trying to figure out how they do it.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

From your description, I am assuming you're referring to the vertical pin at the end of the boom, which fits through a toggle or other corresponding fixture on the mast. See the picture below; this was Glissando's old boom fitting. The arrow points to the item I think you're talking about. Your boom fitting may be very similar to this one.

Assuming this is to what you are referring, then all you should need is a bronze or stainless steel bolt of the proper dimensions. Large clevis pins like that are tough to find. You might also contact a spar builder about a clevis that large, if you really want the clevis.

I can measure my old one and see if it matches the one you have. It sure sounds pretty close. I am not using the old boom any longer.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

See what I mean?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

If you the bolt route, be careful with the diameter. I won't go into the math, but using even a slightly undersized bolt accelerates wear dramatically.
Also be sure that the parts that bear against the boom and gooseneck aren't threaded. You may need to buy a long bolt and cut it down to accomplish this. I had to buy a long bolt, cut the threads 1/4" deeper, and then cut off the excess inch. Not the end of the world, but a hassle I could've done without. The previous owner avoided this hassle by using eight washers. I couldn't leave well-enough alone.

I don't imagine that you'd be able to find a brass pin, but if you do, run away.
My local sailmaker has quite a broad inventory of clevis pins. Perhaps yours does as well.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Thanks all! I went to the sailmaker and he gave me a SS clevis. It is installed and fits fine.

Tim, thanks for the offer and the picture. The part du jour was actally the horizontal pin straight down from the V in your arrow.

So...next potential mayday to avoid is the Monel gas tank...we drained it, got a lot of goop, but last night someone suggested a Racor dual "gizmo" so that when we experience some chop and our line gets clogged, we switch to the other fuel line etc. Has any one ever used this? Out boat was upgraded to a Yanmar years ago but it is the original fuel tank, which of course has no drain on the bottom.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I won't go into the math...
You mean there is some math to explain the wear on a wiggling bolt? I bet Tim would be super-interested in knowing the formula :-)
So...next potential mayday to avoid is the Monel gas tank...
A dual filter system would add a measure of security but not as much as a tank cleaning IMHO. A significant amount of "gook" can be removed if you can remove the tank so you can shake it around with a solvent inside. Do this enough times and you can get a goodly amount of the stuff out.

I was looking into having my monel gasoline tank professionally cleaned but the overwhelming consensus of the mechanics I talked to thought that it wasn't worth the time and money. They thought flushing out what you could and then using a good filter system was the way to go. I flushed out my tank a couple of times and got quite a bit out. What's left should be caught by the filters.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

SCOUT wrote:...last night someone suggested a Racor dual "gizmo" so that when we experience some chop and our line gets clogged, we switch to the other fuel line etc...
Dual filters installed in parallel are a good idea for the reasons you stated. This way, if you do clog a filter to the extent that the engine stops, or if you notice a need to clear a filter, all you need to do is turn a valve and the fuel will be directed through the second filter, which is prepared and at the ready.

Then, you can change the first filter at your relative leisure. I plan to install parallel filters on my next boat.

Of course, you still want to ensure that your tank is as clean as possible. But it's hard to have too many filters.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating