Need halyards, sheets, rope, cord?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Need halyards, sheets, rope, cord?

Post by Richincident »

Last week my jib was stolen, and I am still whining about it. Not only that, but whoever did it took the sheets, which were attached to it.

I am not taking that well. I trotted over to West Marine, which I rarely do, but my local boat shops were closed for the day and I wanted to sail on Sunday.

They asked a cool $1.86 per foot for the NER Stayset that I needed for my sheets. I figured I needed two 40' lines for the job. OUCH.

Frank T. Laski (http://www.theropedope.com/sail_braid.htm) to the rescue. He charged me .78 for the 9/16ths line (same stuff), and only .68 for the 1/2" line. I went for the heavier line. For $1.50 each, he whips the ends.

Can't recommend Frank enough. He is FAST, inexpensive, and fun to deal with by phone or email.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Re: Need halyards, sheets, rope, cord?

Post by Richincident »

Same line quality, size, manufacturer. GREAT person to deal with!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

I have found the same to be true with just about any supplies or materials. You can find pretty much anything you can get at West Marine elsewhere significantly cheaper - it's just a matter of searching for it on the Internet and waiting for it to be shipped to you.

I always figure if I buy something from West, I'm paying for the convenience of being able to walk into the store and take it home with me right then. But if I have a little time to wait, I'll usually let Google be my friend and find the same thing elsewhere for less.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

Another great source for rope and cordage of ALL types is R&W Rope in New Bedford. http://rwrope.com

Some of their rope products are available directly online, while others require that you call them for a quote. But they're super helpful on the phone, their prices are always great, and their selection is tough to beat. They also carry lots of fantastic traditional marine hardware, like Davey bronze stuff, Meissner winches, etc.

Another resource worth consideration. They're one of those places when every time I need something special or odd, they seem to have a way to get it.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Northstar wrote:Nice source!

Within your comment "(same stuff)"...were you referring to size or NER as the line manufacture?
I was wondering the same thing. It sounds like Rich got NER line from this seller but the website linked to seems to show they sell "Atlantic Braids"
http://www.theropedope.com/products.htm

We are an Atlantic Braids distributor offering custom braided lines to size and color. Premium grade Nylon and Polyester Yacht braids of the best craftsmanship, for docking and sail.
Richincident wrote:Same line quality, size, manufacturer. GREAT person to deal with!
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

OUCH!

I think my first purchase from Frank was NER. So I just assumed he was STILL selling their products.

My bad. Should definitely read the website better. THANKS for pointing that out Rachel!

Richard
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Much of NER is now made in China anyway. I am sure the Rope Dope will do a fine job for you!

Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30 #335
sv "Aloha Spirit"
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

hebert01 wrote:Another great source for rope and cordage of ALL types is R&W Rope in New Bedford. http://rwrope.com

Some of their rope products are available directly online, while others require that you call them for a quote. But they're super helpful on the phone, their prices are always great, and their selection is tough to beat. They also carry lots of fantastic traditional marine hardware, like Davey bronze stuff, Meissner winches, etc.

Another resource worth consideration. They're one of those places when every time I need something special or odd, they seem to have a way to get it.
I'll have to remember that. My boat is in Mattapoisett and all sailing will be done out of New Bedford until we sail for the Chesapeake. We'll be buying a lot of stuff (including, probably, new winches) and preparing the boat for the move.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

For those Canadians in western Canada who might be interested, I recently found an industrial rigging supplier in Langley, B.C. who handles double braided marine line products. I was searching for 7/16" ... apparently an odd-ball size ... for my sheets and was told by two different marine stores it was just not available however, WESCO INDUSTRIES had a reel of Polyester Double Braid XLE 7/16" available on the shelf at C$0.748/ft ... I purchased 135' for a total of C$100.98 ... such a deal! ... I was expecting more like $200 at the marine store.
Wesco Industries has branches in Langley, Burnaby, Kelowna and the USA ... but it doesn't say where in the USA
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.