PVC Tarp

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

PVC Tarp

Post by Capn_Tom »

Has anyone had any experience with http://billboardtarps.myshopify.com/ . They sell a recycled PVC billboard material as a poly tarp alternative. The prices are very reasonable but the shipping cost is a bit high due to the weight. I also a bit concerned about the weight (105#). With shipping a 20x48 is $159 which is cheaper than a similar sized silver/ black poly tarp. I'm only getting about 9 months out of silver/ black tarps and would love to find a better alternative.
The board does not cut itself short!
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: PVC Tarp

Post by One Way David »

Yes, but not with boats. I lucked into several about 12 y ago and am still using them. They are made to be outside and don't degrade with sunlight. They are thick, heavy and may come in combinations of colors and logos. Shipping aside, they are very good outdoor tarps. You have to rig your mounting. You might try the ball clips, or ever zip ties. We used several to re-roof a building once instead of tar. Worked.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

I've had good luck with a Harbor Freight silver tarp; two winters exposure with no signs of degradation. A 29 by 49 is on sale for $100. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=1437
Al Lorman
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I received my used billboard tarp on Friday and put it on the boat yesterday. The advertisement was for Verizon Wireless with the large group of people. I was tempted to put it on with the ad message showing but decided that might be the final straw with my neighbors. The tarp appears to be very strong and I expect it will hold up better than the silver/black tarps. The downside is its weight. It was a struggle to pull it over the boat. I need to determine if it can be cut without having to seal the edges. One my bowsprit and boomkin are on I would like to cut it to shape to remove uneeded weight.
The board does not cut itself short!
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Sorry about being late, just away a few days. The billboard material we used for a roofing material was put down with roofing nails and topped with plastic roofing tar. Kinda folded a seam down stream, nailed, then covered with tar. Seems to work. But then duct tape fixes anything. Dave
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

I have 2 and they will be around longer then me, there just heavy and stiff but held up to Fran.

I've gone thru a few of the silver tarps.
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

In the past I bought poly tarps from Cormier Plastics in Maine, they were built to order and to my specs. They were made of true 14 mil material with seams that didn't leak and lasted about 8/9 years before developing leaks but never failed catastrophically. When the last one needed to be replaced a couple of years ago I tried to call Cormier but it appears they have gone out of business so I ordered one on the internet. It was advertised as 12/14 mil heavy duty and only cost about half of what I had been paying and was not to size. When it arrived it was clear that this was much lighter than advertised and the seams leaked from the time it was new, the company that sold it would not return my calls or e-mails.
That tarp failed in the storm we had last week tearing apart at the seams, landing the whole thing on the ground.
I have been looking for records to determine the name of the company that sold it but I suspect that they are all just boiler rooms selling junk.
I mention this as a caution for anyone considering buying a tarp over the internet, there are good poly tarps but I would only buy another one if I got to see it first.

I just finished installing my 'billboard tarp', the only thing available in my size in white was in the lighter material. The salesman told me there was little difference in durability (but then he is a salesman). The material seems very strong and tear resistant, the only disappointment was the amount of advertising on the inside as it reduces light inside the shed.
While the weight would make it more difficult to install if done the same way as with a poly tarp (flaking each side to the middle then rolling it up to be rolled out along the ridge), the billboard came with channels sewn into the edges. I was able to thread 1 1/4" pvc pipe into the channels and roll each side to the middle then walk it up two ladders and let it unroll over each side making it fairly easy for one person to install.

Without reading about billboard tarps on this site I would not have known about them and been stuck trying to find a decent poly tarp.
Thanks,

Barry
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

Used billboard / tarps and a wide variety of other different recycled products are sold at:
http://repurposedmaterialsinc.com/

They have some pretty interesting uses for some pretty wild products. It is worth a look.

Hank
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

In the 'for what it is worth' column, I recently checked Billboard Tarps site for a tarp to cover firewood and found that they have "new" heavy vinyl tarps in a variety of sizes white on both sides for very low prices. Cheap enough that I ordered a replacement for my boat shed probably years before I will need it. This stuff is far superior to poly.

Barry
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

I've used a custom made plastic tarp to cover the boat...now is 6 years old....Still decent shape.
Last 3 years 24/7/365 days as I "fix" the boat.

http://www.reefindustries.com/griffolyn.php
I think I paid $250 for a 45 x 20...White rip stop plastic.

They will make any size you want......

When It dies, I'll get another.