Silly tools you don't need...but can't live without.

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Silly tools you don't need...but can't live without.

Post by Tim »

Planning any fiberglass work?

Save your hands the pain of cutting fiberglass by hand. For the price of a good pair of fiberglass scissors, you can pick up this trick little electric cutter.

This tiny tool looks and feels cheesy, but it works extremely well. It easily cuts all materials up to 24 oz. biaxial fabric (the heaviest on which I have tried it), and will also do several layers at once, depending on the fabric. It's easy to follow cut lines, and is just as easy to use in place as on a workbench.

It comes with a little charger for cordless battery operation, but can also be used with a cord. The battery seems to lose its charge quickly when the tool is stored, but with a fresh charge lasts a long time during actual use.

Item # EC-CUTTER-110 at Jamestown Distributors
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Save your hands the pain of cutting fiberglass by hand.
Cutting glass hurts?...
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I just made Candidate for Boat Obsession Medalist !! :-) I had no idea I was so close to my immortality. I thought Mike was so .... you know.... UP there... since he was the only one else I knew that had attained these heights, and now, gosh, here I am right up there with the ... errr.... most verbose.

I think it took me 15 months. It seems only yesterday I was sanding bottoms...

I would like to thank all the little people that helped me along the way... too many to count... you know who you are... I am just so overwhelmed. Thank you all very much.

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Triton Obsessed Person = Top (naturally)
Boat Obsession Medal = ... Bom... rhymes with Bum? (seems appropriate)

-Britton
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Cutting glass hurts?...
Cutting large quantities of glass, particularly heavy glass, gets old in a hurry and is tough on the wists and hands (from the scissors movement). If your scissors are nice and dull like mine, it's even worse.

(Note to self: find and hire an outside sharpening service as soon as possible.)
bcooke wrote:I just made Candidate for Boat Obsession Medalist !! :-)
Congratulations on your acension to such levels of power. I had no idea it would mean so much to you. I'm happy for you--in a sad sort of way. hehe
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Cutting large quantities of glass, particularly heavy glass, gets old in a hurry and is tough on the wists and hands (from the scissors movement). If your scissors are nice and dull like mine, it's even worse.
Hmmm.... I have cut only small quantities with brand new Weiss scissors. I guess I have a lot to look forward to.
I'm happy for you--in a sad sort of way. hehe
As my obsession grows my social life dwindles. As my social life dwindles I have nothing to do other than work on my boat. The more I work on my boat the stronger my obsession becomes. As my obession grows...

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Britton noted:
As my obsession grows my social life dwindles. As my social life dwindles I have nothing to do other than work on my boat. The more I work on my boat the stronger my obsession becomes. As my obession grows...
And I took advice on whether to tackle a project boat from you! Sounds like my life is going to be fantastic <big grin>

Had a swell day scrubbing mold... I need a hand-saving tool for *that*...

--- R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

That's okay. Friends are over-rated. Tim corrupted my college education and sent me down my current path. I was making a career change and had gone back to college. One day while avoiding a paper that needed writing I put "sailboat" and "repair" in a search engine. The Glissando site came up with Tim about a third of the way through the project. I quickly became a triton381.com junkie and was checking every day for updates. I did manage to get my degree. I never managed to get that new career. I am just passing on Tim's favor to someone else.
Had a swell day scrubbing mold...
And that is the good stuff. It gets even better.

Actually, as obnoxious as it is, cleaning a new-to-you boat is great fun. You see lots of improvement for relatively little effort and you discover all sorts of neat things as you are crawling around. Your mind wanders and the dreams start. "If I move ___ over to there, then there would be room to put ___ here..."

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Ha!

Post by Rachel »

I was making a career change and had gone back to college. One day while avoiding a paper that needed writing I put "sailboat" and "repair" in a search engine.
Oh that's too funny. *I'm* supposed to be finishing a long-neglected degree :-) In fact, I should be back in Wisconsin writing a paper right now...

Yes, it is nice to get the boat a bit cleaned out. Although I'm unearthing some awfully scary looking below-the-waterline hull openings. How has this boat not sunk yet?

And I almost sunk it myself today: I was enthusiastically rinsing away with a hose in the forepeak when I noticed we were quite a bit down by the stern (and were those strains of "Nearer My G-d to Thee"?)... Egads it was way past time to get pumping and empty the bilge.

How embarrassing would *that* have been?

--- R.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I may need to add a disclaimer to my website.
The owners of this website accept no responsibility for those choosing of their own volition or otherwise to become boat bums and restoration junkies. Please do not attempt these projects at home without a thorough evaluation of your financial situation, marriage or relationship stability, educational path, and tenure at work. Failure to comply may result in the usage of all your spare time (and more), and may lead to the risk of losing touch with old friends, family, and anyone else who doesn't seem to share your new-found obsession. In the end, vindication may be yours as you proudly launch your creation, but beware the months and years ahead, each frought with obstacles that you nor anyone else can forsee.

Kids, stay in school.
Britton, when should I expect to be served with your "mental anguish" lawsuit papers? hehe

Coming soon to the ABC after school special, starring Britton Cooke: Boy, Interrupted, the tragic tale of a rising star whose dreams were shattered by reading a website.
bcooke wrote:As my obsession grows my social life dwindles. As my social life dwindles I have nothing to do other than work on my boat. The more I work on my boat the stronger my obsession becomes. As my obession grows...
Social life? What's that? If it's not on or about a boat, it basically doesn't exist. Thank God for cruising.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Social life? What's that?
Rum.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

How embarrassing would *that* have been?
It has probably happened before but it would have been the first time I heard of it. It isn't one of those things that people often admit to though.
I may need to add a disclaimer to my website.
You should. I am serious.

Actually, I could also add H.D. Thoreau to the list of bad influences. Reading Walden got me questioning the rat race. Then Don Casey writes a book matching boats and Thoreau together. Okay, he butchered Thoreau... he kinda butchers boats too ...hehe... but in any case the connection was made. Then I get the grand idea to explore Thoreau -ian economics (economics major) boat style by taking a 20 footer for a couple of months after graduation and before starting the new career. Other than getting a sore back from the cuddy cabin I would have to say Thoreau works. I spent a lot of rainy days drawing "dream" boats; all of which had standing headroom. Add in the Glissando project and now you can see how I got to be where I am.
Rum
What can I say to that?... pass the bottle.

What was this thread about again?

-Britton