Dust collection for DA sander and other tools.

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Dust collection for DA sander and other tools.

Post by Rachel »

Hi folks,

I hope I didn't miss this in the archives, but I did look. My question concerns dust collection for various tools, but specifically, at the moment, the Porter Cable 7335 DA sander.

I haven't bought power tools in so long that, well, dust-collection wasn't really mentioned back then. However, I'd love to abandon my shop-vac-hose-taped-to-a-stick-and-held-up-near-the-tool technique this time around :-)

I see that, for example, there is a dust collection kit for the 7335, consisting of some hoses and a hood. I also see a Porter Cable shop vac for over $200. Then I look at a Fein multi-master tool (drool), see that *it* has a dust-collection kit, and that the Fein vacuum is available for even more money.

What I'd like to know is do you have to have the brand of vac that matches each tool or can you just find a vacuum you like and use that? Is the "on/off when the took is used" affected with a non-matching vacuum? Is that a great feature in real life?

I don't mind paying money for good tools, but also don't have enough to just spend for no reason.

Now, if it is that case that any vacuum will work, does anyone have a particular vacuum they love or hate? I'd certainly pay for quietness, as I hate noisy tools. I also tend to take care of my stuff and make it last, so even though I'm on a budget, I appreciate good quality when it's appropriate.

Thanks! R.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

The Porter Cable dust collection models are qualified by an R in the model number. For example, the 5" version is R7335. They are considerably more expensive and, in New Orleans at least, hard to find. The vacuum models are about $250, as opposed to only $100 for the standard version.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Maybe I missed something...

Post by Rachel »

Oh, maybe I misunderstood something....

In my online shopping, I thought I saw the 7335 for about $139, with dust collection kit for approx. $39 more (I went to Froogle and searched at the time, but I have to run now so don't have time to post links). I suppose they were also available together, but it looked as though the two things purchased separately would amount to the same thing...

That didn't include the vacuum, of course.

Real-world experience?

--- R.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I purchased the 7336 with a similar understanding. However, there is no way to attach a vacuum to it. I'm doing my work in the slip, so an attachment was important to me. However, it isn't an option on my model or the 7335.

Instead, I've taken to tenting the work area with tarps. It looks bizarre. I keep the dust out of the water, but my marina neighbors think there is something wrong with me. (They're right.)
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Real-world experience....

I have the 6" PC with the dust-collection kit. The model number has a 5th digit, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I know I've posted it recently in another thread. 97735, or something like that.
The thing just plain friggin rocks. There is a remarkable difference in the effectiveness of the tool when a vacuum is connected vs. when it's not. I dunno why really... maybe the suction clearing the dust away prevents the dust from building between the pad and the work?

I'd be lying if I claimed it to be a dust-free operation. Some dust does escape the device... maybe 10 or 15%. But this is never enough to prevent me from getting my face right into the work so I can see what's going on, mask or no mask.

PC sells the dust collection kit (really just a clamp-on hood for the tool, a long hose, and a vacuum adapter) for $39!!! well, now I feel really silly.
I paid a lot more than a $40 upcharge for mine, even though it was a rebuilt unit. Mine came with a super-spiffy rotomolded plastic carrying case, though (he says, tongue-in-cheek).

No, you don't need a special vacuum. I've used a half-dozen different vacuums with mine. I agree that noise reduction is worth paying for. My recently-deceased "Rigid" unit was pretty quiet for the money, once fitted with the "muffler" attachment. A good washable reusable filter is also well worth the money.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

My original PC sander came with the dust hood. I hated it and promptly removed it; I like to see the disc so that I can control the stock removal better.

That said, I recall the hood working quite effectively, so if dust collection is important, it will do the trick pretty well. I only used it for a brief time with ordinary woodworking, and never tried it on a boat.

I just strap on my fancy-dancy supplied air mask and get down and dirty. The dust is a pain, but I like the relative freedom of the tool. It's all a compromise. Maybe there's something to that increased performance, though...I never thought of that, though I can't complain the way it is now.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating