The Digital Camera as a Diagnostic Tool

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

The Digital Camera as a Diagnostic Tool

Post by Tim »

So, we all know that boats have many inaccessable areas--or at least areas where we have serious trouble getting our heads in to look.

One of the handiest attributes I have discovered with digital cameras is their ability to take pictures of anything your hand can get close to--without worries about wasting photos, the time delay of developing, and all the other reasons why you would never do this sort of work with a film-based camera.

Since it doesn't matter if the focus is off on some of the pictures, or if the camera was faced in the wrong direction in others, you can literally take a dozen or more photos, as needed, of one little thing to help figure out what's going on, or to double check an installation, or what have you.

I find this to be an invaluable diagnostic tool. When I can't get my head in somewhere to actually see what's going on in a given space, I use the camera and take as many pictures as I see fit--they're free, after all. Then, I can immediately go load them into the computer and take a look. It sure makes looking at certain systems and such much easier.

Case in point: I discovered a leak in one of the deck scuppers. Of course, it connects into the cockpit scupper system in an inaccessible area, for all intents and purposes, so I couldn't see exactly what the situation was in order to effect a repair. Solution: take pictures of the area by holding the camera at arm's length, and have a look on my computer screen. By doing this, it was much easier to visualize what was going on, and easier to make the needed repair. I do similar diagnostic things all the time, and also use it in similar ways in my job.

If you don't have a digital camera--and you should, for so many reasons--this is a compelling reason to get one.

Tim
Figment 78

digicam

Post by Figment 78 »

(didn't feel like logging in)

Ah, I can do you one better Tim!

Our little bottom-of-their-line Sony cam has the little LCD screen that immediately shows you what you just snapped, and lets you flip through all images & mpg's currently in memory. no need to download anything. Instant gratification/information.

Yes, I've often used it as a "periscope" in this manner for both boat and car work. It's a hugely useful tool. So useful in fact that I'm being convinced by my better half to get a cellphone finally BECAUSE I can get one of the ones with the integral camera (which I'll use 10x more than the phone function). Really, I think she's just sick of me borrowing "hers" and bringing it back covered in boat gunk.[/i]
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yeah, I have the little screen too. Sometimes it's enough to view the pics on there, but usually I like to download it so I can see it bigger than 1x1"! Since my boat's stored at my house, it's no problem to do.

Tim