Air D/A sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Air D/A sander

Post by One Way David »

Well I got the scraping done and started to sand. I have a wood shop all fixed up with compressed air, so I opted for an air driven sander instead of the P/C job. Man it is the best sander I've ever worked with. Until the backing pad disintegrated 1/3 of the way thru the job. Cheap Chinese junk tools! Uh, wait a minute, didn't the specs say something about operating the sander at 80 psi. Hum, my tank reads 160 psi and I haven't installed the regulator yet.

I don't remember the warning about the socially embarassing paint dust issue. I've read all of Tim's site, much if not most of this forum, and I don't recall the warning. I sanded as mentioned above, really just testing the technique. I used goggles and mask but couldn't wear much more than regular clothes in 92 F and 94% humidity and stay conscious. So I just took the air nozzle and blew the blue bottom-coat-dust away. Not! The word tenacious is defined by this stuff. In fact I had to strip outside and gingerly walk to the shower begging forgivness all the way, you know from whom. I used a wash cloth and a surgical scrub brush every where and inspected and was pleased. I took a nap and headed in to work for my shift at 7 pm. I have very short hair (think Marine Corps) and after a few minutes one of my coworkers sheepishly walked up to me and said, "Are you aware your head is blue?" Sorry guys, NOBODY is getting pictures of this!

BTW, in the boat shed section, bcooke has a link to a shed design,
http://members.shaw.ca/pgron/BoatShed.htm that is good, but look further if you haven't already. The construction of the Artic Tern is a plastic-wood composite and the guy has some interesting techniques and creative design. http://members.shaw.ca/arctictern1/ Thanks Britton, that is a great link. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.