Bronze Restoration

Tools you like...tools you hate...
meubcr
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Bronze Restoration

Post by meubcr »

Hopefully this post shall serve as a useful tip for those struggling to bring back old bronze/brass and removing paint, verdigris, and other such. This lesson learned is based on months of trial and error with a trunk full of old hardware.

Needed:

1. Small steel bucket ffrom paint supply dept.
2. Citristrip - I used a gallon
3. Nitrile gloves
4. Eye glasses, if not full face respirator
5. 2 - 3 packets of bronze wool
6. 1 qt. "On & Off" from West Marine or other such place, composed of a concoction of acids - WATCH THE VAPORS/DO NOT USE INDOORS
7. Standard bronze metal polish
8. Heavy duty plastic bucket
9. Disposable natural bristle paint brush
10. Access to fresh water

This is a 4 stage process designed to minimize effort.

1. Submerge pieces with paint in Citristrip in steel bucket overnight, rinse, and wipe as needed with bronze wool to remove paint
2. "Paint" pieces with On & Off, brush and bucket, let stand for ~10 minutes (my bronze was thick with verdigris). USE MASK/EYE PROTECTION.
3. Mix 1 cup On & Off with 2 gallons water in bucket, and soak pieces checking regularly - say every 1/2 hour. When brown or verdigris staining is gone, rinse thoroughly and IMMEDIATELY
4. Polish pieces with bronze wool and polish.

TIPS:

Use only one metal type at a time in On & Offf stages (Remember how to make a battery? I do now :) )

Following 3 with 4 immediately will prevent staining of the metal by any residual acid that wouldn't otherwise be detected
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

A friend of mine would just pitch his bronze stuff in a plastic bucket full of white vinegar. That sorta seemed to work. I let mine go green...
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?