Spreading thickedned epoxy

Tools you like...tools you hate...
David

Spreading thickedned epoxy

Post by David »

Tim,

Would you share with us any tools you've found useful in spreading larger amounts of thickened epoxy?

thanks,

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Assuming you mean spreading it relatively thinly and evenly across wide areas (like hulls and decks), I find it hard to beat a selection of drywall knives. I normally use a good 6" knife, but occasionally use up to 12" in certain instances.

I find the 6" to be the most versatile and effective, though, even on wide expanses.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

During the cockpit work I became a huge fan of the ziploc-bag-with-clipped-corner.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

For large expanses I use a variety of tile adhesive type notched trowels. Wet out with neat epoxy, first. You get good control of quantity. Not my idea, it's right out of Gougeon's book. For small stuff, I use one of my pre-prepared stir sticks. These are rips of 5/4 decking, 1/8" x 10" or so, ground square or to the radius du jour.

When the epoxy cures, grind them clean for reuse.
David

Post by David »

I used a slection of drywall knives too. Also silicone kitchen mixing bowls which clean up very easily.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

also- most auto parts stores sell plastic squeegees, in assorted sizes. I often use them, and wash 'em down afterwards- or not- often they'll bend and pop the epoxy back off. If the edge gets a bit rough, a smoothing on some 150 grit works fine.

When I'm fiberglassing a hull I'm building, the squeegee is my preferred tool for wet out, even on the sides of the boat..
meubcr
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by meubcr »

I'm a big fan of the plastic drywall knives also. They are sufficiently flexible to allow for a slight convex shape to the fairing compound. With careful cleaning, I can get 5 applications before the acetone pits the knives' edges. I usually use a paint stir stick or tongue depressor to get the basic shmear, then use a single pass with the knife to get a smooth finish and defined edges to minimize future sanding.
David

Post by David »

Try vinegar instead of acetone. I keep an open tub of vinegar and drop my only half cleaned stirring sticks, squeegees, knives, etc in it. The vinegar even softens old hardened epoxy.