Scissors for cutting fiberglass.

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Scissors for cutting fiberglass.

Post by Zach »

Hi Guys.

What suggestions do you have for scissors? I've gone through three pair in attempt to find something that will cut without spitting the cloth back unharmed. There has to be an easier way!

Thanks

Zach
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You need these Wiss fiberglass scissors.

Link: Wiss Fiberglass Scissors

I usually use these electric shears, though. They look hokey, but they work excellently. For any job requiring a lot of cutting, these are well worth it. I love them.

Link: EC Cutter
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

forget scissors. Go to the fabric department at Walmart ( or any other fabric shop) and get a fabric cutter. It's a roller device with a razor sharp wheel in it. Lay a straight edge down and run the wheel along it- sharp, straight cuts.

Costs less than 10 bucks.

I've used mine through the building of 3 boats now and am currently using it to cut Fabmat . A layer of roving with a layer of mat attached. Cuts like a breeze and still going strong.

DO NOT get your finger in the way- it doesn't care if it's glass or flesh.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Thanks guys!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Charlie,

I'm trying to visualize that tool, as it sounds like a good one to have. Is it something like a pizza cutting wheel?

Rachel
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yep- about 2 inch diameter, with a cover that retracts as you push down. Rachel- it's really slick, I can cut strips of tape from a piece of cloth as fast as I can lay a straight edge down and roll the thing along.

Put a piece of cardboard under so you don't cut the table you're working on.

just walk into any fabric shop and ask for a fabric cutting wheel.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I used a cutting wheel for the Dynel when I did my decks. It is a slick little gadget, but the underlying surface is absolutely critical to the success of the cut. It's great on a worktable, but up on the boat I prefer scissors. I don't own any that are specifically made for cutting glass, I just buy the $2 variety and discard them when they dull.

The little electric shears look supercool. I've never splurged on a pair because I just KNOW I'd get some resin on them and ruin them, but then last month I noticed some (non-rechargeable) ones in the discount store for like $12 or so. hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Update:

Tried a pair of scary sharp recycled chicken factory scissors recommended by the hardware store down at the coast. Grabbed a pair of three dollar pakistani chromed stamped steel safety scissors with serrations. I'll be darned if they don't fly through glass, the little teeth on the blade keeps the glass from sliding out.

P.S. A filet knife makes fast work of finishing cloth...

Tomorrow I'll go grab a cutting wheel.