Carbide Grit Jigsaw blade for cutting thick fiberglass

Tools you like...tools you hate...
kristian
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Carbide Grit Jigsaw blade for cutting thick fiberglass

Post by kristian »

Had to cut out an oval section of 1 1/4" G10 fiberglass for a mast step support today. Tried using a high speed steel metal cutting blade, which did fine for about the first 1/2". Even resting it and trying to keep it cool the blade burnt out after about a minute of cutting.

Instead of burning through the entire 10 pack of Bosch HSS blades, I went out and picked up a 3 pack of 30 grit carbide coated blades. These are designed for cutting tile, corian etc. I'd used them before for cutting FG, but never a big sheet of G10.

Well, one blade cut the entire 10" long oval, quickly and with minimum fuss. It got a bit slow at the end, but not so bad that I wanted to change blades.

Absolutely worth the 45 minute trip to the store, as it would have likely taken me that long to make the cut with regular blades!

The right tool makes everything better!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Use the carbide stuff for cutting ANY fiberglass, thick or thin. The fibers are death to all other blades.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There are also carbide-tipped jigsaw blades available. Of course they cost more than the grit ones, but they'll outlast them and sometimes work better.

It all depends on the job and circumstances, of course. Any carbide is better than none.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

This is where I found the Fein Multimaster to really shine...

Of course you will be hardpressed to cut an oval with the blade, but after going through many jigsaw blades with even just 3/8" electrical grade FG, the Multimaster sliced through it like butter... that that was with the blade for "wood," not the carbide coated one.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Bosch blades

Post by Al »

I just happen to have 19 Bosch 30 grit T-shank jig saw blades, the remainder of a pack of 20 that I bought on eBay a while back for a tile project. I'd be happy to sell all or any part at $1 each plus first class mail costs. I'd been meaning to list them on eBay but never got around to it.
Al Lorman
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

I've had excellent luck with diamond grit jigsaw blades (for cutting tile etc.) Cut through the fiberbglass great, and no tearout of the gelcoat.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380