Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Dual-mode Sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
David

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Dual-mode Sander

Post by David »

Just placed an order for this. Anyone have experience with the grades and types of Festool abrasives that apply to boatwork?

Thanks in advance,

David
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

festool rotex paper

Post by boatsnh »

Hi David,
I bought the 5" model 1 1/2 years ago when I was repairing my cabin & the entry bulkhead. I got the 5" size since I already have the 5 finish sander & wanted to only keep a single size paper in stock. Also thought I could get the 5 inch size in more weird little spaces - seems to work. I find Festool paper is very good & an ok price for what you get - They have a pretty gcomprehensive list of grades/packings . Honestly you can follow the "cut sheet" guidelines pretty closely. I found the Safir paper to be the sharpest for glass removal - I think I used 36 grit on "rotary" and it worked pretty well. Cleaned up with Safir 80 grit on random.

I find the papers for Paint/wood to actually last better for the named application - they tend not to clog too much. I use the rubin & brilliant ( 120 grit & 220 grit) All in all I've been pleased with the machine. I love the vacuum system - sometimes it might be a bit slower than a die grinder or the 'ole' 7 inch body grinder but I'm not cleaning up the whole darn boat after each use - well worth keeping glass ffibers out of me and the boat - Also, the paper lasts a pretty long time. All in all Iv'e probably run thru a few hundred bits of paper - in 50 or 100/boxes.
Mike
tsprat
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Re: Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Dual-mode Sander

Post by tsprat »

David wrote:Just placed an order for this. Anyone have experience with the grades and types of Festool abrasives that apply to boatwork?

Thanks in advance,

David

I think I am using brillant and crystal for plastic and paint they cut nice, all of there paper is great and rubuen for wood
tim