Random Orbit Sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Random Orbit Sander

Post by jpmathieu »

Well its that time of year. I went looking for my trusty porter cable random orbit sander and it seems to have disappeared. Since I can't find it I think its time to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. I started looking online for a replacement, and there are many more brands and styles to choose from since I bought the Porter Cable 15 years ago.

I'm not sure if there is a better sander that my trusty Porter Cable.

I sure I can get some input from everyone on the different brands and styles and what to stay away from.

Help please!
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

lol- I've had two PC 7335's and should I need another all round sander, I'd buy another one.

I also have a smaller ROS from PC and one from DeWalt, but the 7335 has been and continues to be my work horse.
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by rshowarth »

JP

Just about everyone else on this Board does more work on their boats then I do, but I have the Porter Cable and it has been great.

If you do a Search on this Board I believe you will find a number of posts confirming a number of users recommending the Porter Cable.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's still the best tool for the money (around $120 on average).

I don't even bother looking any further whenever I need a replacement: I just buy a 7335 from whichever online source seems to have the best combination of trustworthiness and price.

I have 4 of these, all heavily used/abused, and all of which still basically work (though 3 of them need repairs that I never seem to get around to since it's easier and more efficient to just order a new one). The original one I bought in 1990 is virtually identical to the newest one, bought this year.

Buy another: you can't go wrong and won't find a better overall sanding tool despite the quirky power switches.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

when they DO finally die ( one of mine shed a section of armature) I keep the carcass for parts- switches, speed control, etc.
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Another true-life story about the 7335's; about 18 years ago I sold my compressor and gave away my air-powered DA and board file when the Porter Cable DA's first came out. What a revelation! The absolute best, most uncomplaining tool I have ever owned.

This last year it finally started to slow down. I could probably clean it up and put new brushes in it but I'm going to do just like Tim and CharlieJ, but this spring I'm going go out on the internet and get a new one.

Dave
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

oh man- go for the brushes- costs about 12 bucks and takes about 10 minutes to change 'em out. I've worn out 2 sets in each of mine. The one quit, but the other is still running strong. And we have used the crap out of them in the woodshop.

When we were refinishing furniture, we'd commonly go through a 150 disc roll of "stic ons" every few weeks. And I've used them through the building of 10 boats in the last 6 years.

Great tools
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Hmm, I think Tim and Charlie must own stock in Porter Cable ;)

Actually, I own one too.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim

Post by Tim »

They ought to give me (and Charlie too) some free stock after all the recommendations given over the years...

I've had my complaints about the tool, which a dedicated searcher could find in this forum, but still don't think there's a better overall choice.
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

I have a PC 7336 (converted with a 5" pad) and it is a real workhorse. I really do not like using any other sander (I also have a PC 333VS-5" Variable speed, a PC 340-1/4 sheet, and Craftsman 1/3 sheet and 1/2 sheet sanders, in addition to 2 belt sanders)

Given the opportunity, I would upgrade to a pneumatic da, but I do not have air in my shop, and in spite of plans to upgrade, I expect a sufficient air system to be 5 years away for me. I prefer the pneumatic because it is lighter and much smaller, but to each their own....

I also own 3 PC routers and I have an old 14v drill and light. Maybe I should also consider a stock request.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Since we are talking Porter Cable DA's...

When you order a new one and it comes with the adhesive back pad, where do you buy the hook and loop 5 hole pad?

I ordered the 'standard' hook and loop pad and got a pad only with no way of attaching to the sander. It was just a thin pad with no method of mounting on the sander or attaching to the existing pad. Curiously, after checking ten or twenty sites I am not finding whatI want. I have ordered one before but now I can't find it.

I am lost without my sander...

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I don't Brooke.

I use and prefer the sticky backed discs. As many as I use, they are cheaper and I so seldom try to reuse a disc, it just isn't worth it to me. I get mine from a tool supply place in a near by town.

You can also order them by the boxed roll from numerous sources. I often buy boxes of 150 discs in a roll

I DO have one smaller ROS that uses the hook and loop, and they are ok, but I still prefer the stick on's
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

I picked up mine from my local woodworking tool shop. When I was at the shipyard, we bought all our replacement pads, 5", 6" h&l and sticky back from them, as well as most of our sanding disks. This is the typical store with everyting from table saws to router bits, lathes to clamps. Somehow, I suspect you may have one of these near you....
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I don't recall seeing a hook and loop pad for the 7335. I would think the speed of roattion might be a bit high for hook and loop. If there is one it will have a threded post in the center that screws into the arbor of the sander.
The board does not cut itself short!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I can't remember but my original 7335 may have come with the hook and loop pad. I don't remember switching it over and I don't have another 5" pad laying around and I would if I had switched it out.

One would think they are readily available. In fairness, there isn't a decent woodworkers outlet around me. They have all been pushed out by the Home Depots and Lowes on ever other street corner -neither of which carries anything remotely useful or of a decent quality - okay, slight poetic license there...

I guess I will just have to keep snooping around.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

Why not get a readily-available PSA pad for your sander, and switch to PSA discs?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I might but I bought my disks in bulk and I have a few hundred that I would like to use up
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

What you actually have is a model 97335.

Here's a 5 hole, hook & loop replacement pad for your sander.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I owe you big time now. Thanks.

-Britton the ever grateful
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

Thanks for all the input. I decided to order a new Porter Cable online. While I am waiting for that one I received some home depot gift cards which I have promptly used to pick up a 5" Dewalt D26453 RO sander to hold me over, plus its nice to have a spare.
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

Post by margitchris »

I just picked up my nine-month-old PC 7335 sander from the repair shop. They replaced the bearings. Having lost the receipt, I had to pay for the repair ( the sander is waranteed for a year). The sander instructions suggest blowing out the sander with compressed air occasionally. Tim also mentioned that the machines are intolerant of dust. I guess I'll be blowing out the sander a lot more often!

Chris Miller
1971 Seafarer 31 yawl #210
Lloyd, Florida
Andrew Westgate
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Andrew Westgate »

Perhaps a bit redundant but I think it is always nice to share good experiences....

So I finally broke down and bought a PC 7335. I purchased it from Tools for Less. Was $129 but with free ground shipping. Arrived in about 5 days (to NC) but it was over the MLK holiday so I actually expected a longer wait. Great service from these folks!

FYI for you Plastic Classic rehabbers in the Northeast....Tools for Less is out of Portland Me. So wait times for the frosty folks would be minimal.

Also ordered a ton of sandpaper from Mcmaster-Carr. Their shipment got here in two days! They continue to strive to be one of the best companies for internet shopping. Fast, professional, efficient.

Happy sanding/grinding days ahead!

Andrew
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Wow! What a great recommendation for a tool. I have been looking to add some power tools to my little shed-shop and the one thing I find you can counted on is way too many great and poor reviews. Not one person even mentioned another brand. Go PC.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: 7335

Post by Hirilondë »

Andrew Westgate wrote:
Happy sanding/grinding days ahead!

Andrew
I don't care how good your tool is, sanding and grinding aren't happy.

On a serious note, I'm sure you will find a good sander an improvement what can be a frustrating tedious, but absolutely necessary task in boat repair/renovation.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

A piece of advice for new 7335 owners - wear safety glasses. I don't have a great history of dressing like an astronaut by wearing every piece of recommended safety gear but when the adhesive finally wears out on the sanding disks they take off like a rocket. To quote "A Christmas Story" "You'll shoot your eye out kid"
The board does not cut itself short!
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Had to break down and try one too! Got lots of sanding ahead of me. I've got 2 Dewalt random orbital sanders and I love them. The PC 7335 looks like it would be more comfortable on above the head surfaces than the Dewalts.

Thanks for the tip!
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Idon84

Post by Idon84 »

UPDATE:

Whoaaa... How did I ever do anything without the PC7335 before? What a tool! Eats paint like a grinder without any scaring of the gelcoat.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just wait 'til you get a Multi-Master ;)
Idon84

Post by Idon84 »

I KNOW, tell me about it! I just saw a demo version at the chandlery here in Seattle. Droool.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
So It Goes
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: So It Goes
Boat Type: CAL 34

Post by So It Goes »

I'll chime in on the Multi-Master bandwagon...I've had mine for six years and it gets constant use. AWESOME!

If all my tools worked half as well...

Bob
http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/