non-turbine hvlp sprayers

Tools you like...tools you hate...
petemarkey
Bottom Paint Application Technician

non-turbine hvlp sprayers

Post by petemarkey »

Which compressor based hvlp sprayers are people using?

I bought a regular sprayer at the home center for use with furniture and have never been happy with it.

Also, how hard is it to clean the guns when using all that epoxy based material?

I hope to enventually be spraying AlexSeal products, and/or Awlgrip products.

Can one gun do say a high build primer, and a finish coat? I would think you would change the tip for sure, if not the gun.

PS. some of Tim's sites are down, what gives, is he out cruising or something?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: non-turbine hvlp sprayers

Post by dasein668 »

petemarkey wrote:PS. some of Tim's sites are down, what gives, is he out cruising or something?
He's having server problems. Hopefully things will be squared away next week.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I can't answer your HVLP questions, but Tim's having issues with his service provider. I heard a rumor he was stalking around Maine with war paint on.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

petemarkey wrote:PS. some of Tim's sites are down, what gives...
Please send your thank-you cards to the friendly folks at Ipowerweb, the service provider that has left me hanging for nearly a week...and counting. This has been an abominable problem.
petemarkey wrote:Also, how hard is it to clean the guns when using all that epoxy based material?
If you're concerned about set up time, or that sort of thing, don't be. All of the primers and paints in the Alexseal/Awlgrip family have extremely long pot life. For example, a mixed pot of paint will last in liquid form for days and days. Therefore, equipment and gun cleaning is as straightforward as it is with any paint.
petemarkey wrote:Can one gun do say a high build primer, and a finish coat?
I use the same gun and tip for all primers and topcoats. Technically, the tip I use is a finish-coat tip, but it works fine for the heavier primers as well. It is a 1.0mm tip.

I have had generally good results with my turbine-based system, but am planning on upgrading to a compressor-based setup in the near future. But unfortunately, I don't have any specific comments to add in that regard at this time.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

I'm usually not one to bash a company, but I have to agree with Tim on iPowerweb. I'm having (and have had) similar problems to Tim. Very shoddy customer service, and I'm either hosting - or reselling them - over 30 different sites right now. Actively seeking to move everything elsewhere. One option I'm considering is is Mediatemple. Tim, you might want to look into their Grid Service. You'd probably be able to pile all your domains onto one gridded server for $20 a month.

End of my iPowerweb rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, which is far more entertaining than this discussion!
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
petemarkey

Post by petemarkey »

tim wrote: I have had generally good results with my turbine-based system, but am planning on upgrading to a compressor-based setup in the near future. But unfortunately, I don't have any specific comments to add in that regard at this time.
All I have is a Porter Cable 4.5 Gallon, 150 PSI compressor. I assume As long as I am patient a HVLP will work, right? I mean after all, it is "Low Pressure" isn't it. Never really had a problem with airflow with my cheap gun.
petemarkey

Post by petemarkey »

tim wrote: I have had generally good results with my turbine-based system, but am planning on upgrading to a compressor-based setup in the near future. But unfortunately, I don't have any specific comments to add in that regard at this time.
All I have is a Porter Cable 4.5 Gallon, 150 PSI compressor. I assume As long as I am patient a HVLP will work, right? I mean after all, it is "Low Pressure" isn't it. Never really had a problem with airflow with my cheap gun.