Dead Makita, thoughts on the Fein cordless drill / screwdriv

Tools you like...tools you hate...
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Dead Makita, thoughts on the Fein cordless drill / screwdriv

Post by s/v Groovy »

My Makita 12.2V died, 2 years old. It still turns, but sounds like there is a small woodland creature caught inside.

I am inclined to follow the recommendation here and get a DeWalt drill/driver, but this caught my eye... thoughts?

http://www.toolking.com/fein_abs14nimh.aspx
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Despite any earlier comments I have made here regarding cordless drills and so forth, I've had a few changes of heart.

I still like the DeWalt tools, but frankly their cost is getting to me. It's hard to justify the cost of new batteries, and my battery selection is getting old. I tend to use the need for new batteries as a justification for buying a new tool (with batteries included), but this is pretty hard to do at the cost of DeWalt tools.

I can't say anything but good about the way my DeWalt drills have worked over the past years. They are tough, and solid, and good.

That said, I am starting to repopulate my aging DeWalt cordless drill selection with the Ryobi 18V ones. I have four DeWalts, and two Ryobis now. I bought the first of these a couple years ago, and became so enamored of it that I recently bought a second one--partly for reason #1 below.

A few things:

1. The Ryobi chargers aren't very good, and don't seem to last long. I think the chargers only cost $20 (batteries are $40 for two), but I think it's easy to justify buying a new drill kit (with 2 batteries, charger, and flashlight) for under $100 instead of buying the replacement parts piecemeal. This is a good way to increase your drill selection too.

2. I really like the magnetic screw holder on the Ryobi drills. This doesn't work with boat fasteners, of course, but around the house or whatever this is really handy. This is a small thing, but DeWalt doesn't have it.

3. How can you go wrong for $100 for these kits, compared to $300 for the DeWalt? I actually reach for my Ryobi drills before the DeWalts now.

4. I think the other Ryobi cordless tools (like the ones they throw into the huge 10-tool kits) are absolute junk, but the drills are heavy duty and good. (If you have to buy the kit that includes the circular saw, that's OK; the saw has some uses.) The 18V was recently redesigned, and the drill is extremely comfortable to use.

5. The flashlights are great.

6. Next, I'm getting one of the right angle drills.

All stuff to consider. If you don't like the bulk or weight of 18V tools, then you may have to look at other brands. I think Ryobi has a 12V, but it's pretty cheesy.

I don't know anything about the Fein drill you linked...
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

While I like the quality of the Fein stuff, when it came time for a cordless drill, I went with this baby:

Imagehttp://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/Soft ... 1186803847

I've been surprised by the battery life and torque this thing puts out and the 90 deg. thing allows me to get into places I never thought possible. It also helps me drill straighter holes without a press.

At the time, I had a traditional corded 1/2" drill that I used for everything else, so I was looking for something more versitle. Now I'm looking for a basic 1/2" drill.
Gerald A. Gotts
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Ryobi 18v

Post by Gerald A. Gotts »

I too like the Ryobi 18v. I've had mine about 4-5 years and have just noticed my batteries are dying one after the other. At first I thought it was due to the very warm weather here in Florida during the summer. I moved here from Michigan almost 2 yrs. ago . I suppose that I should be thankful the batteries have lasted this long.
I am only familiar with the Fein name but will probably go with Ryobi batteries next and hope for another 4-5 yrs.

Cheers,

Jerry
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I always liked Makita and I still have the makita drill in my mechanics tool box. The makita flashlight is absolute junk though; they are cheaply built and break constantly. I repaired or replaced mine several times before I gave up and bought a Ryobi kit with drill and flashlight.

Now I always reach for the Ryobi tools.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I bought the Ryobi 5 tool pack 6 years ago on a whim. It cost the same as the DeWalt drill alone. I figured the drill would be dead in a couple years at best, but I would still have the other 4 tools that I might use on rare ocassion available for use. 6 years of daily use at work and I still haven't replaced a battery or the drill. I keep threatening to buy a Bosch to go with my job site boom box/charger, another Dewalt or such. But I just can't seem to figure out what the considerable extra money gets me.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I've had two of the Makita 9.something volt drills for years- pounded them unmercifully in the woodshop. But the batteries are ridiculous to replace.

So I soldered a pair of wires to the clips inside, about 10 feet long and put a cigarette lighter plug on the other end. Now the drill lives aboard the boat and runs just fine as a 12 volt drill, plugged into ships service. If it DOES burn out, I have a second one, and it was worthless without batteries anyway.
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

I bought a Panasonic 15.6 drill a year or so ago and I really like the size, trigger response and the smoothness of the motor. They're not on the cheap end of the scale and I have no idea how long it will last. I'm not yet a heavy duty user of my drills.

The other drill I use is a big, 7 year-old, Bosch 18 volt. The batteries gave out a couple of years ago so I bought a pair of new ones 'cause I hate giving up on a perfectly fine drill. But those batteries were just about the cost of that Panasonic. The Bosch is kinda the Hummer (H1) of cordless drills. I get wrist pain just thinking about using it...

And a DeWalt right-angle drill. Short of nifty drill features but necessary.
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man