Overheating Sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Overheating Sander

Post by Capn_Tom »

I hve a porter cable 7335 which I've used extensively over the past couple of years. Today I noticed it became very hot to the touch within ten minutes of use. Any thoughts?
The board does not cut itself short!
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Sometimes the motors get loaded up with dust. Try blowing it out with compressed air, or taking it apart to clean out the case.

Or... it could be giving you the signs of impending death!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yep, that'll happen with hard use. My trusty old B&D grinder requires gloves if I'm really laying on it. I've opened the case a few times, the gears and grease always look fine, it's just one of those things.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to hear you shopping for a new one soon. In my experience, though, you hear the bearings going bad before heat becomes a problem.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I vote with Zach. One of my 7335's is 12 years old, has been used unmercifully, and occassionally starts getting hot. I always find lots of dust inside the case when I blow it out. I turn the machine on and stick the air into every crack I can find. Sometimes dust will explode out of tiny little openings you wouldn't believe possible.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

The weather turned stormy today so it seemed to be a good day to work on the sander. I wanted to open it up as much as poosible to clean it out good but I'm not having much luck. Any tips on removing the front housing? It appears to be a snap fit but I can't come up with the right pry, twist, pull combination.
The board does not cut itself short!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Never have been able to get that front housing off.

I just use an air nozzle and stick it in all the openings I can find, with and without the machine running
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

CharlieJ wrote:Never have been able to get that front housing off.

I just use an air nozzle and stick it in all the openings I can find, with and without the machine running
Ditto. This may be one of the best uses for compressed air around the shop. The front part of the PC sanders is not user-serviceable, apparently, since I also have never been able to open this portion up for inspection. Blowing the dust out with compressed air tends to do the trick.

The 7335s are surprising intolerant of dust, considering that they are sanders whose purpose is to turn material into dust. Despite that, they are great tools that last a long time, and can be replaced inexpensively if needed.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating