Bottom scrubbing

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Bottom scrubbing

Post by Figment »

We discussed various bottom paint types and the need for the occasional scrub here at the tail end of my topside paint thread. This season I'm docked in entirely different water, and it's been an education.

My paint is still the Pettit Copper Bronze ablative antifouling (not to be confused with the Old Salem hardcoat), but I'm now in full saltwater instead of the 40/60 brackish water of the upper Branford river. This saltwater river is also much more clean than the silty murk of the old river.

The boat was launched mid-april, and the bottom was untouched until our grounding at the end of May. Diving on the bottom to inspect grounding damage, I took the opportunity to scrub away the light coat of brown algae that had developed since launch. "Scrub" really isn't the appropriate verb, "wipe away with a brush" is more accurate.
As the grounding took the antifouling (and a bit of barrier coat as well) off the bottom edge of the keel, I've been cleaning the bottom every other week since, thinking that I might be able to stay ahead of any hard growth until the customary midseason quick-haul.

What I'm learning, I think, is that light has more to do with bottom growth than salinity or anything else.
The bottom of the keel, with no antifouling protection at all, has been almost completely clean.
The hull surface down to the tuck of the keel has seen the most growth.
The south-facing port side has had a good heavy coat of growth, far more than the starboard, which is also "shadowed" by the dock finger.

Now, onto the tools.
Fins. How on earth did I ever do this without a set of swim fins? Madness!
The brush. I've been using a soft-ish deck brush with a 2' wooden handle. The mild positive bouyancy is helpful for keeping the appropriate pressure on the underside of the hull.
Though the brush is rather soft-bristled, I'm concerned that these more frequent cleaning sessions will work through the paint before the season ends, and I'm thinking about switching to a carpet scrap.
I'd love to hear thoughts on an effective handle arrangement for this. Anyone?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:...until the customary midseason quick-haul.
You haul mid-season??? Mike, you're only in the water for 5 or 6 months, aren't you? What on earth do you need to haul for? And you call me nuts? Hello, Pot! hehe
Figment wrote:...I'm thinking about switching to a carpet scrap.
I'd love to hear thoughts on an effective handle arrangement for this.
How about a Swiffer. A little velcro on the swiffer pad and the back of your carpet scrap... Nicely articulated head. Should work great, I would think.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Ideally it's more like 8-1/2 months, but yes I am indeed the pot!

Yeah, maybe "customary" was the wrong word. Not everyone does it, just those who moor in full-saltwater, and who plan on using the boat past Columbus Day. Just a "short haul": up in the slings, quick-clean the bottom, check prop and zincs, and back in the drink. If any portion of the bottom actually dries, you're taking way too long.
I'm sure Hirlonde and others here can shed light on S.O.P. at their yards.

As I'll need to apply some paint this time, I'll need to actually get blocked-up overnight.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Geez, we only hauled Palawan every 12 to 18 months. Tom would dive on her once or twice during that time. I'm surprised to find the fouling to be that much worse down in CT.

Anyway... interesting!
Figment

Post by Figment »

Oh I probably should also have noted that if you scrub every so often, the midseason haul is almost certainly unnecessary. Like any other maintenance task, the more often it's done, the less arduous each individual occasion is. Everyone strikes their own balance.

Fouling gets worse in warmer water (as I understand it), but not THAT much worse! =D
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

interesting thread.

I've had Tehani in the water for two years now, down here in Texas waters. We scrubbed the bottom last year while in Florida- dove on it with scrubbers. Took two of us about 30 minutes.

I scrubbed a few weeks ago but nothing much other than some slime. We do have a few barnacles where bottom paint has been scraped off, such as on the bottom of the keel and some right around the very top of the rudder. Other than that she's pretty clean. We'll be hauling for a bottom job sometime this summer though cause it's getting to the point where it needs a few new coats..

Just for information the bottom paint I use is ACP 60 from Pettit, in black.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The racers scrub regularly, of course, but cruisers don't bother around here, at least not as a general rule. Even the racers rarely haul for that purpose, choosing to hire divers on a regular basis instead.

In the short season and cold water, growth is limited to light-to-moderate algae. With no scrubbing during a 5-month season, this is as bad as it gets (see photo).

(Paint: Micron CSC Ablative, one fresh coat applied each spring)

Note that most of the growth occurs during September, when the water's warmest. Things stay remarkably clean till then.

Sometimes I think that the more you scrub, the faster the stuff grows.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

besides- the very best way to scrub a bottom is with water- SAILING!!

Sail it often enough and you won't get as much stuff on it. Grin
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Gee Mike, you're kind of taking a ribbing here! 's'ok. We still love ya, man!

;-P
Figment

Post by Figment »

I'm realizing how very loose terms like "scrub" "clean" and "growth" are!

I just scrubbed (wiped away slime) yesterday, and in a week's time my bottom will look like Tim's pic above. This isn't the end of the world, of course. It's just slime, not "hard growth".

Actually, now that another boat has taken the slip next to mine (south side), perhaps the growth will slow down a bit.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Now that we've all beat on Mike for a while...

Did anyone else have any better ideas than a Swiffer for Mike's carpet-scrap-scrubbie?
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Sometimes when we have to scrub the light growth during the season or for a race, we use cheap cotton gloves. It's pretty fast and they don't take all your ablative paint off.
Bruce
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I'm at the opposite end of L.I. Sound from Mike and my boat is in the water for 6 months. I use Micron Extra ablative. I paint the top foot of the bottom, the leading edge and bottom of the keel and the rudder, then a complete coat on the entire under water each year. I wipe the slime line (the top few inches in the water) off once a month from my dinghy (if I happen to think of doing it) with a sponge and my depth transducer a couple times a season with a scrunge pad and/or my custom bronze scraper. When I haul in early November I find a thin slimy layer of growth which comes off with the power washer even with the tip a foot away.

New York City must be dumping something in the Sound that is speeding up the growth on Mike's boat!!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.