Vacuum Sanders

Tools you like...tools you hate...
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Vacuum Sanders

Post by s/v Groovy »

The boat yards here now require vacuum sanders. I am looking for a recommendation. The one I keep seeing is the Fein (MSF-636-1), coupled with their 'Turbo' auto start vac. Looks like a great tool, but the price is staggering. Are there other good solutions?

I could also rent one (fein), for $45 per day (9-5)+ $20 if kept overnight.
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Most manufacturers have some sort of dust collection attachment for their basic DA sanders that will mate to an ordinary shop-vac.

I've had the Porter-Cable and the Bosch. The Bosch does a better job of dust collection, and the hose attachment is integral to the body of the tool. On the other hand, the PC attachment is removable (not that I've ever bothered) for tight-quarters work.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Do you plan on a long life of future use for this tool? If so, spend the money on the Fein. They are worth it by all accounts.

One advantage to working on my own turf and terms is that I don't need to bother with vac attachments while sanding. I make a mess, and then I clean up the mess. I think vac attachments are a bother for many types of work; they work fine for bench work and that sort of thing, but can be a real nuisance under and within the tight confines of a curvy sailboat.

But in a boatyard, you need one, and it makes sense to buy a sander that has the best means of vacuuming up the sanding dust and debris. I think a built-in setup may be better for this, but since I trashed the annoying add-on Porter Cable vac attachment years ago, I could very well be uninformed on this subject. So I'll stop.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I use a Bosch 3107 Random Orbit sander coupled to a Fein 9-55-13 turbo vac with the auto start feature. I used some duct tape to hold the vac's mutli-adapter piece into the dust port on the sander, and then just plug the hose into that. It works pretty well.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

We require vacuum sanding at the boatyard also. We use all Fein equipment and are quite pleased with it. Even though the "kids" we have doing bottoms are way less than careful with yard equipment the stuff lasts a long time. If you can justify the expense I would definitely recommend Fein.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

I have a bosch random orbital sander (5") and I think a "Shop-Vac" brand shop vac (I can't remember, but it's yellow and black). I got the Bosch vacuum attachment and it works great. With full suction (clean filter and bag) the sander will stay stuck to the hull at a 90% angle. It's pretty impressive, and works well - very little dust around the boat unless the sander isn't being held flat on the sanding surface.

I don't mind the non-auto start on my Vac because I wear ear protection anyway and just keep the Vac running most of the time. The hose is long (10-15ft?) so I don't need to move the vac around much.

I have used this combo for 5 years and it's still going strong so I can't complain. I have replaced the "orbit" bearing in the sander once, but other than that it's happy.
I want a shop!