21" FLEXIBLE LONG BOARD SANDER

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

21" FLEXIBLE LONG BOARD SANDER

Post by Dan H »

I'm getting ready to fair the topsides. This flexible longboard sander looks intriguing. Any comments?
Peter Ross really has me thinking about gelcoating the topsides.
eBay Link
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Gelcoat or paint, a good longboard is a necessity.
A good fairing batten is harder to find.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I suppose buying one IS an option but you can make one for next to nothing with a chunk of 1/4 plywood cut to the width of a sanding belt and made the length of one opened out. I have several. Mine have knobs epoxied on at each end. The sanding belts are held in place using spray adhesive. When they wear out I just peel 'em off and stick a new belt on.

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

You definitely want to use a long board. And Charlie's idea is a good one. A long board needs to be flexible enough to curve around the hull yet firm enough to span across high points that need sanding. 1/4" plywood seems about right. Making one's own tools saves money and adds a personal touch to the process, I like both points.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Last night I saw someone on 'Rides' doing a custom fiberglass bumper and using this longboard, for whatever that is worth.

It does seem great to be able to adjust the flex, and grab it anywhere along the tool.
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I made mine as well. An under 1/4" thick x 2" x 24" or so long piece of Hickory. I taped a length of belt sander belt to it. The handles are not fastened at all. I bored several 3/8" holes through the board and made handles out of 4" lengths of Ash shovel handle with stubs of 3/8" dowel inserted into the ends. One simply sticks the handles into the holes of choice and gets to work. One chooses whichever holes gives you the flexibility or stiffness you need. Since you're holding the board against the work with the handles, they don't come out.

The long board is for shaping so fairly aggressive sanding belt is fine; I used 80 on the new Mahogany veneer on the 50's Flying Dutchman.

I thought about buying one of those asiatic air-powered sanders but went for cheap and plenty good enough.