My new favorite: Bosch PS20

Tools you like...tools you hate...
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

My new favorite: Bosch PS20

Post by suntreader »

You can see the shed we're finishing up in another thread in the 'shops' section. In the course of that project we've driven hundreds of 3" screws at all kinds of crazy angles and positions from the tops of home-made ladders and blind reach-arounds, etc. 95% of those were driven with my Bosch PS20. I've been looking for the right drill for a while now. I've got a basic Black & Decker corded drill that I picked up a few years ago on the basis of it being the cheapest one I could find. It works find, drives screws, drills holes, mixes paint, and turns a wire brush fine, but it is heavy, poorly balanced, and generally not the best drill solution out there. I've been keeping an eye on cordless drills recently and am pretty close to the verge of picking up a Panasonic 12V, but I think I'll wait on the full size drill/driver until they get lithium batteies in the under $200 range.

So, in the interium I picked up the little Bosch. It isn't a real drill/driver like most out there, it is a dedicated screw driver with some real guts. Tiny enough to keep in my pocket while working, plenty powerful to drive the 3" and 3.5" screws into 2-by and 4-by. I've been going through about two charges a day working on the shed sun-up to sun-down. In short, this thing really rocks. It is 10.8 volt and the batteries are lithium, which makes all the difference in the world. The driver is very well build like every other Bosch tool I have. Here it is on top of my old B&D:

While the shed project was pretty heavy duty for this little thing, and it did strain sometimes, I'm really looking forward to using it for what it was intended for, household type things. Instead of dragging an extension cord and the big dill into the house to hang a picture or put up blinds I can just grab this little guy.

It should be noted that it doesn't have a real chuck, just a hex type fitting. Turned out I do have a few drill bits with the hex thing going so I have drilled a few holes with it. The holes came out but the driver doesn't have the RPMs for doing too many. Another nice thing is the driver bit that came with it has got to be the best driver bit I've ever seen. Usually I go through phillips head bits like candy, I buy them by the dozen, but this one just keeps going without any noticeable wear.

Admitadly some of my amazment with the tool is just because I didn't have another cordless, so the cordless thing is pretty cool in and of itself. But the size, power, quality, and endurance has really impressed me.

I just wanted to share how much I've enjoyed this little guy. Has anyone else tried one out?

David
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Although I haven't used the Bosch PS20, I will agree the Bosch driver bits are the best.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I was at Home Depot the other day and decided to wander over and check out the cordless drills, since my favorite old Makita didn't make the move (old style clips on the battery). I actually bought one of these kind of on the spur-of-the-moment, although of course I had to bring it home and research it afterwards.

I hadn't realized when I picked it up that it didn't use regular drill bits, or even that it was so much more of a driver than a drill, but I might keep it anyway. Good to hear your review.

I debated buying its companion instead (see below), and then maybe a "real" cordless drill, perhaps another Makita like I had before but with the plastic battery clips. I have a couple of corded drills for when I need something serious.

The drill-shaped one sure is a nice size and weight though.

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I am hoping to purchase this kit soon:
http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetail ... id=PC1213S
I am very pleased with Bosch as a tool brand, the jig saw and compound miter box I have, but this is the only drill I have found that has right angle and offset adapters. Quite pricey, but I can get it through work for a bit less.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I actually bought one of these recently, to get into tight places where I needed to drill oles or tighten screws. I know, I know its a Skil, but it is amazingly compact and has a Lithium battery.

there is a review of it on this page : http://www.handytoolguide.com/2006/09/

Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet