Scout

never mind

Post by Scout »

I figured it out...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hee hee.

You know, there is a way to delete a post - but this is better for making me laugh at lunch-time ;-)

Rachel

Edited to add (had to test) that if you do ever want to delete a post, you can go to your posted post, click on "edit" in the upper, right-hand corner, and then in the next screen there is a check-box under the body of the post that says "Delete this post."

I'm not sure how it works once someone (like me) has replied; I've only once used it on a "virgin" post that hadn't been answered yet.
Scout

Post by Scout »

That is too weird, Rachel, I wrote you a reply, submited and then went to edit and there was the delete option. So I went back to my first post that started the thread and there was (still) no delete option. Just the other two, disable.... and notify me when....

I'm proud of you Rachel, for maintaining your virginity!

I suppose I should delete that?!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I bet once someone replies the "delete" option disappears. Otherwise you could get some weird, disjointed threads.

--- R.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote:Otherwise you could get some weird, disjointed threads.
These replies aren't weird, disjointed?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilond? wrote:These replies aren't weird, disjointed?
Yeah, okay......... Never mind!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

What???
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I miss smiley faces here. I am so used to them in the other forum I participate in and the old fashion :) just doesn't feel right any more to me. I sometimes question whether people understand why it is used, but maybe that's just me. I guess I will just have to use it more anyway or just stop trying to make jokes.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hirilond? wrote:I miss smiley faces here. I am so used to them in the other forum I participate in and the old fashion :) just doesn't feel right any more to me. I sometimes question whether people understand why it is used, but maybe that's just me. I guess I will just have to use it more anyway or just stop trying to make jokes.
Sorry, Dave. I feel those smiley icons are overused on forums, and frankly they annoy me, so I have always had them disabled here.

We're a pretty sharp bunch and usually "get" the jokes, so don't worry! I thought your reply was great.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I got you too, Dave. I was just joking back.

I rather appreciate the lack of smiley icons here, myself, although I do resort to an "old-fashioned" ":-)" every once in a while (probably don't need to though).

Not too long ago I was writing a paper letter and actually found myself starting to write in a colon-hyphen-close-parenthesis to add some expression; then I was immediately disgusted with myself for not being able to write with enough expression to not need one of those. I had to remind myself that people wrote for hundreds of years without them!

Rachel
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Rachel wrote:I was immediately disgusted with myself for not being able to write with enough expression to not need one of those
Good writing is hard work, even for a strong writer. And requires practice or you get sloppy. Like me. This reminds me of the old saw:
Honest Abe Lincoln wrote:?I'm sorry I wrote such a long letter. I did not have the time to write a short one.?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, and I got the joke. I laughed out loud, in fact. (LOL ::grin::) Preceeding parenthetical for self-amusement value only; your mileage may vary.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Honest Abe Lincoln wrote:
?I'm sorry I wrote such a long letter. I did not have the time to write a short one.?

Now that is a GOOD one. I have to admit thats sometimes true for me. I have lost count of the times I wrote a long letter and end up deleting almost everything and the actual message was improved.

Less is more. The more often this happens to me, my respect for the poets who write short poets goes up and up. The same goes for authors who can write a short 100 page novella instead of a rambling 1000 page novel.

You made my day, Nathan. Or maybe it was really Lincoln that made my day...

- Case
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be impossible to circumnavigate the adoring hoards to get a question in edgewise . . .

Congrats, Tim.

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Post by grampianman »

I think Tim will allow questions only after the OECD and Roget's have been perused.
With regards the circumnavigation, history lessons will follow!

Cheers,
Ian