Stand-up Compressor Suggestions

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Stand-up Compressor Suggestions

Post by Tim »

I'm generally in the market for a shop compressor. My dreams of the ultimate, buy-it-once-and-it-lasts-for-the-rest-of-my-life compressor that I had my eye on a year ago are out the window, so I've significantely lowered my expectations.

That said, it's clear that I need to get something that far exceeds the capacity of my little contractor's compressor that doesn't have the guts to really even run any air tools, other than nail guns.

Here's a quick rundown of my basic requirements:
  • 1. 220v AC

2. Heavy periodic use by a single user

3. I'd like to see minimum 15CFM at 90 PSI.

4. I'd basically use it to run some simple air tools, like die grinders, DA sander, blow guns, spray equipment, and the like. I'd like enough capacity to grow into a full complement of air tools, within reason. I can stand some limitations on the tools I use, but being limited to 1 or 2 CFM currently is totally lame.

5. Price under $1000 (well under would be nice)

6. This need not be the last compressor I buy. I'd like it to last as long as possible, but realize that at this price point I won't get the ulltimate machine.
There are machines from Husky (Home Despot) and Kobalt (Lowes) that more or less fit the bill, and the bills. Craftsman, too, as well as some Northstar at Northern Tool, among others. I don't know if these are any good or not.

I'd be interested in any and all suggestions. Wow me with your knowledge.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: Stand-up Compressor Suggestions

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I'm generally in the market for a shop compressor.
It's about time, ya bum! Sheesh.

That is all. I have nothing of value to add to the discussion! hehe
Tim

Re: Stand-up Compressor Suggestions

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:It's about time, ya bum! Sheesh.

That is all. I have nothing of value to add to the discussion! hehe
You have failed to wow me with your knowledge. Please step to the back of the line.
JSmith
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by JSmith »

Graingers has an Ingersoll Rand single stage, 15.5 cfm@90 for $869.

We use I-R compressors on the tugs running 24/7. Of course they're 2 stage, etc but I've always thought Ingersoll rand had good stuff.

There's a big selection of other compressors in their catalogue too.
I have no idea how to post a link to it but you must know them.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

I guess if it were me (probably won't be for a long time), I would consider the Ingersoll Rand from Northern Tool. They have free shipping on it and it fits your spec and budget. Most of the Northern gizmos are also available at Amazon.com.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ch=1592047
I've bought from Northern in the past and found them to be a pretty good supplier. Ingersoll Rand has dumbed down their brand a little over the last several years, but they still are better than some of the handyman suppliers. This particular IR compressor is rated Industrial for periodic heavy use. They do make some tougher ones, but those are at least a couple boat bucks ($200) more expensive. It will be important to include a good filter and water trap system for the installation. Also, if you put in a line oiler for some of the tools, I'd install and use a separate hose for that so you're not trying to filter it later for your HVLP gun.
Bruce
Tim

Post by Tim »

My original, buy-it-once choice for compressor was a big IR that I saw in the Northern Tool catalog. IR was my first choice, and I'd still feel better with one than with one of the generic brands. The one I had originally considered was around $1899, though--way too steep, and, frankly, way more tool than I need.

I like Northern Tool a lot, and have found generally good products and decent service. This particular item says 30+ days for shipping, though. Ouch.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Food for thought. Anyone else?