PC 7335 Switches

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

PC 7335 Switches

Post by Tim »

You all know what a fan I am of the Porter Cable 7335 sander. It's a great tool that works beautifully and always goes the extra mile. So it pains me to complain about it now.

I didn't mind when my first version, bought in 1990 when the electric DA was first introduced, finally died a couple years ago. I worked it hard, and it performed admirably. I got 13 or 14 years out of it. (Actually, I don't really think it's dead--just needs rebuilding. But I haven't gotten to it yet.)

I didn't even mind when the newer one I bought to replace it died this summer after several boat projects and 5 weeks' daily use sanding the inside of my log house during construction. I certainly got my money's worth. That one is also set aside for "maybe" rebuilding.

However, I mind very much that my brand-new one, bought in August of this year and hardly used until this week, is already experiencing annoying problems and inconsistent operation with the switch after only a couple days' worth of sanding on my current project. How is this possible, or acceptable? I know the switch problem is related to dust getting inside the housing and affecting the switch operation and contact.

Who would think that dust might get on a sanding tool? Obviously I must be using it wrong.

What have they done to my favorite tool? What an annoying lack of quality control when something so stupid gets in the way of otherwise excellent operation. I never had a switch problem with the original version; the second one started being weird after some substantial use, but this third one takes the cake.

I'm distressed, and also don't know where to turn for a replacement tool that won't have this problem. All the warranty in the world won't cover the inconvenience and work stoppage that might be caused by a failing switch in the middle of a job. I don't think it's asking too much that the tool actually works doing its designed task, is it?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Fein 6" Sander

Post by Columbia34 »

They might be a bit pricey but they are great tools.

Fein 6" Random Orbit

Scott
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Aggravating, isn't it? Mine developed a similar problem while I was doing the decks on Dasein. Granted, it was after several weeks of constant grinding 8 hours at a time, but still...

I discovered that if I slid the switch in a certain way?kind of off-centered, hard to describe?it would go on every time. But still pretty stupid for a so-called professional tool.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The first thing I did is look up the Fein tool. But I don't like 6" and would prefer to stay with 5", which I find works better for me and is easier to maneuver into the frequent tight spaces on boats. Plus, I have hundreds of dollars' worth of 5" PSA discs on hand. If they had a 5" version, I'd probably order it now.

I'm not abandoning my PC just yet, but nonethless felt the need to share what I think is an unnecessary frustration--symptomatic of the greater problem of consumers generally choosing price and disposability over actual quality on all goods sold today.

Meanwhile, I have this useless switch, yet have a silly dial to change the speed of the sander. Is that progress? Who slows their sander down, anyway?

I think I'm going to try and get my 1990 version repaired.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Oh, I'm sure you could find a good home for your inventory of sanding discs without much effort. :)

The variable speed is handy when you slap a buffing pad on the head to fix paint goofs. (oh, right, that's a velcro thing)

My PC has the same quirk as nathan's. nudge the switch head a bit askew and it works. Maybe your new unit hasn't been dropped to the concrete enough yet? I don't think it's unreasonable for the tool's designers to expect you to drop it every so often to knock the internal dust loose.

Clearly you're using it wrong. Get someone with some experience to show you how it's done.

Ok, I'm out of smartass comments. For now.
Figment

Post by Figment »

oh, wait, I have one more!

Serves you right for being too cheap to do a compressed-air system throughout the new boat barn.

How'd I do?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Serves you right for being too cheap to do a compressed-air system throughout the new boat barn.
NOW your're talkin' sense! Let him have it!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try some of that electronics switch cleaning stuff... I don't know off the top of my head if its just for corrosion, or also good for gunk buildup. I know it saved the 5-position pick-up toggle on my Strat that was getting irksome.
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Columbia34 »

I understand not wanting to switch. But in the future if you need something look into there tools. We use the random orbital and the multimaster (which has a triangle shaped sander) that works great.

Scott
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Re: PC 7335 Switches

Post by MikeD »

Tim wrote:I'm distressed, and also don't know where to turn for a replacement tool that won't have this problem. All the warranty in the world won't cover the inconvenience and work stoppage that might be caused by a failing switch in the middle of a job. I don't think it's asking too much that the tool actually works doing its designed task, is it?
Tim, have you called the PC people yet? I'd be curious to hear what they have to say and how they respond. You should carry weight with them - I'd bet you and your recommendations of the unit are directly and indirectly responsible for a good number of sales. Still doesn't help with the work stoppage, though...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote: Maybe your new unit hasn't been dropped to the concrete enough yet? I don't think it's unreasonable for the tool's designers to expect you to drop it every so often to knock the internal dust loose.
Well, yesterday morning when the sander wouldn't start at all, I scaled it off the nearby hull hard enough to bend the handle. I must have knocked the dust loose, because shortly thereafter (at least after a few choice words and switch-fiddling) I managed to get it to work.

The sander and I have reached a grudging truce, however. The switch is quirky, but I can always get it to run. So far. When it doesn't run, I will lose my sense of humor.

Actually, the problem today so far has been that the switch is so touchy that it turns the sander on when it's laid down upside down for sandpaper changing. You can't win!
Figment wrote:Serves you right for being too cheap to do a compressed-air system throughout the new boat barn.
I know, I know. I have the spot for it and everything, but I just never got around to actually buying it.

I actually spent some time this morning looking for my air DA to see if it would run on my small compressor. I couldn't find it though...must be still buried in some unknown box from the move.
Figment wrote:How'd I do?
Quite well, methinks! hehe
dasein668 wrote:
NOW your're talkin' sense! Let him have it!
Listen, you...

Obviously, I'm not charging enough for boat storage to afford one.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Obviously, I'm not charging enough for boat storage to afford one.
Touche!
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Will the switch from number 2 work in your new one?
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Tim

Post by Tim »

Summersdawn wrote:Will the switch from number 2 work in your new one?
Actually, sander #2 does the exact same thing. The only difference is that one had been used enough that I could accept the flaw.

#3 is just too new. The balky switch began on the 2nd day of real use.

Poor me. I should have some real problems, right?
Figment

Post by Figment »

Perhaps the switch is fine and your thumb is balky?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Perhaps the switch is fine and your thumb is balky?
Well now, isn't someone just full of vim and vigor today! hehe
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:
Figment wrote:Perhaps the switch is fine and your thumb is balky?
Well now, isn't someone just full of vim and vigor today! hehe
P'raps the strain of the holiday season is having an adverse impact on poor ol' Mr. Haas!
Figment

Post by Figment »

or perhaps everyone with who I do business have already pissed off for the holidays, and I'm sitting here with not much to do, waiting for answers that aren't coming until January.

I probably should get the heck out of here and go work on the boat or something, but it's just so much more convenient to sit here and entertain myself at Tim's expense!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Tim - just as a temporary measure, have you tried blowing out the switch with air? You might also be sure the wire nuts in there are tight. THAT could easily cause a quirky on-off action.

One of my pair of 7335s recently died, after many many hours of pounding in the wood shop. Shed a segment of the armature, but After some 14 years of daily use I can accept that. The OTHER one strangely enough, crapped out the variable speed mechanism and now works fine with that removed.

I think I'd also suggest calling PC. Shouldn't happen- it's too good of a tool for that. Or used to be anyway.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Can you transplant the switch from #1 to #2 or #3?
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm on the verge of ordering a 5" version of this tool and I have a couple of questions. Why yes, I did think of going to the website (no info and clicking on "parts" brings me to another website requiring a log-in and password), and of calling customer service (hung up after ten minutes on hold).

But I'm not annoyed.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was whether the sander is available with a PSA pad instead of a hook-and-loop (that's all I see offered). I believe the favored McMaster-Carr sanding discs are PSA style, right? Or do you buy an aftermarket pad somewhere? I do plan to use the dust collection feature, so I'd like it if a replacement pad/paper had the holes for that.

My second question is which exact discs it is that come from McMaster. I know you've posted this info before, Tim, but a half hour of looking around didn't turn it up for me (my fault, most likely).

Thanks all,

Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

The PC7335 comes with a PSA pad and no pretense of dust collection.

There's a similar model 97335 that comes with the hook and loop pad and dust collection setup, which may be what you're looking at.

There's a PSA pad with holes available (PC # 14700) too, for $15.00.
Last edited by Tim on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Duh, Supplier Links! I was looking in "Tools" (and for some reason my searches have started returning hundreds of results, when they used to be "tighter" -- not sure why.

Thanks for the info, Tim. I'd say you should go work for Porter-Cable customer service, but your talent would clearly be wasted on them (okay, maybe I was annoyed...)

Rachel
Tom Young

Sometimes I can't understand why my 6" PC RO sander wor

Post by Tom Young »

I bought it reconditioned 4 or 5 years ago and really have abused it. It connects to a PC shop vac so I use it alot on the boat and construciton projects. With the handle, it's very easy to control and with the vaccumn, I can't even think of pulling out one that isn't connected to the vac.

I just took a 20 year old Makita 1/2" drill in with a broken shaft. They still repaired it (about 50 bucks) and it may outlive me. That's been used to turn 1 1/4" bits through a foot of lumber, turn lag bolts, abused to death. I've put at least one set of brushes in it. I wish I had a dollar for everytime it hurt me in those 20 years!

Hard to tell with electric tools what will last and what won't. Too bad Tim, I'll stay away from that one if my old PC sander gives up.
Tim

Post by Tim »

For what it's worth, the switch on the sander that started this thread has not been experiencing any problems since my original post. I have used it extensively since then.

I guess I scared it into submission. Or something.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Where is this supplier's link? Tim, the link in your post leads to nowheresville. A place I've been to, far too often.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The thread is two years old. The category 'Supplier Links' doesn't exist anymore.

I think I got my PSA pad for my 97335 from Amazon.com. I will never go hook and loop again.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »