Porter Cable sander 7335 5"

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Porter Cable sander 7335 5"

Post by Scott »

Hi,
Can anybody tell me what store, in Canada, might carry the esteemed Porter Cable 5" sander model 7335, of which I read many great things on this forum. Am I destined to salivate, while our American counterparts exbound on the virtues of this marvelous tool???
I suppose if it comes to be that it is not available, perhaps someone might like to suggest a similarly acceptable model that is available in Canada? On second thought, I want the Porter Cable!! I'll be down in the US soon enough if that's what it's going to take!

Thanks, Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hi Mike,
Yes, I saw your post about that, but thought that whereas they are in California, and I am in Nova Scotia, the shipping would be a little prohibitive. If it comes to it, I expect to be down in Miane before the month is out, so I'll buy one there if I can't pick one up here in Nova Scotia. But thanks for your reply.
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hey, I just noticed I am a sanding bottom grunt looking for a decent sander, what do ya think of that!!!
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

It was only $12 to ship it to Maine - there's an "estimate shipping" on the page too. Still, it was the cheapest one I could find. Good luck!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hi Mike,
I just checked it out, shipping to NS would only be $24.75, not bad. I must now check and see if there would be duty on top of that, along with our taxes of 14 % ( recently reduced from 15% wow)!!
Thanks for the lead! I think I might get my hands on one of these after all!!!
Scott
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

You might check www.coastaltool.com They are in Connecticut. Their price on the kit including the dust collection hose is $145.00 new. But the cost from Mikes for the reconditioned one is hard to beat. My experience with reconditioned tools is similar to my experience with new. Sometimes they run forever sometimes they fail. If they do fail it is usually one day beyond the warranty period.
The board does not cut itself short!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I did a quick search on froogle.com, which brings up many choices and a wide variety of prices. I found a new one last year for about $100 from Tools Plus this way, but I didn't see a price that low for new this time around. The tools-plus.com price shows as $116.

http://www.tools-plus.com/p-c7335.html

Another good price that popped up was a new tool for $116.99 from toolsforless.com, which is the Internet name for a respected local Maine company, Advantage Gasses and Tools. So the shipping might be less from here.

http://www.toolsforless.com/product/4318.html
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

Scott wrote:and I am in Nova Scotia, the shipping would be a little prohibitive
Greetings Scott;

Beware - it isn't the shipping charges you have to worry about as much as the brokerage fees. The amount can vary, depending on what company the merchandise is shipped with. USPS is the cheapest at a flat $5.00 fee; UPS seems the worst - they once charged me brokerage fees that were more than the cost of the item and the shipping fees combined. It is possible to do your own brokerage paperwork, 'tho I'm not sure of the procedure, and it may not be worth the trouble for small-cost shipments.

Real clever system that... paying money in brokerage fees just to be told that you don't have to pay any money in duty.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Scott,

The Porter Cable main website http://www.porter-cable.com/index.html lists 20 dealers in the Halifax area, including Home Depot. I purchased my Porter Cable DA 7336 locally in Hamilton, Ontario from a tool supply store. It' the same unit as the 7335 except that it has a 6" disc instead of a 5" disc. No one in my area carried the 7335. It was a special order item. The 6" unit was in ready supply.

Look around locally before you go the import route. I love my 7336. I used it last spring to strip the bottom of my boat.

Lyman
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

Here is a conversion kit to go from 6" to 5"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... e&n=228013