Borrowing/lending tools

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Borrowing/lending tools

Post by Figment »

A buddy of mine is a mechanic. Like all pro mechanics, he has a very strict policy against lending tools. His tools put food on his table. If you're in the closer circle of friends, he'll let you come into his shop when it's slow and work under his supervision, but try to get a tool out the door and he'll shoot you.

This particular guy's been pretty generous with me lately. It was his 6" RO PC sander that made my bottom job so easy, and he didn't hesitate to jump into the crew last saturday and do quite a bit of gruntwork.

Still, color me surprised when he actually volunteered the use of his compression tester (his ear says low compression is my A4's culprit) yesterday. Naturally, I broke the friggin thing. Snapped it clean in two on the #3 cylinder.

Man that's an awful feeling. This is why I hate borrowing tools.

Just to rub it in, he turns around and hands me his "backup" tester so I can test the other two cylinders.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Some people are too nice for words...

How much for a replacement compression tester?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

He wouldn't say how much. I doubt he knows off the top of his head. He's not one to treat the Snap-On truck like it's the ice cream man. I know I'll pay. He knows I'll pay. In fact, on my way out the door he bellowed "oh, you'll pay! just you wait!"

Wait 'til I tell him that the backup he loaned me is nonfunctional. At least this time it's not my fault.