New with Rhodes 19- Hi folks!

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
sailorsteve

New with Rhodes 19- Hi folks!

Post by sailorsteve »

I am new to the forum, and I found it after searching for Pearson info. I was about to buy a Pearson Commander and needed to see values etc. Well, Tim's project fascinated me so I thought I would chime in. Well, I found nice Commanders going for about $5,000 and the one here was freshly redone. I was so excited until the price of $13,500 was presented, so plan B was to build up a Rhodes 19 that I picked up for nothing from a salvage guy. It was built by O'Day, and the hull is really solid. The mast is pretty rough, and the sails are terrible. I had it hauled to dry storage, and started to get it ready for paint. All the ribs were bad, and as luck might have it, there was enough mohagany in the corner of the garage to make new ones. Once the new ribs are in place, I will prep for paint. I have a guy lined up to paint as I cannot get that perfect look myself.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Back in my college days I did quite a bit of Rhodes 19 sailing via the Sail Newport fleet, getting younger members of the sailing team accustomed to bigger-boat sailing before we moved them into the J22s to learn spinnaker work.
We had a lot of fun bombing around the harbor, playing tag with mooring bouys, etc. very nimble boats. We came to refer to them as indestructable Lightnings. You have many delightful days ahead.
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Rhodes 19

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Would love to see a picture

Cheers,
Clint
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Rhodes 19

Post by rshowarth »

Hi Sailor Steve-

I have a Rhodes 19 which needs the ribs replaced. Can you send photographs, especially if you took photographs as you went.

Did you use mahogany for the ribs?

Did you laminate plywood together?

I have been considering closed cell foam.

How did you shape the ribs?

Were you able to take the old ones out intact and use as templates?

Did you epoxy and fiberglass them in place?

Thanks
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian