Cuppla 1960's plastic classics spied on the List of Craig

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Cuppla 1960's plastic classics spied on the List of Craig

Post by ILikeRust »

Anybody know anything about a "Sail Star" sailboat?

Spied on Craig's list: http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/2292334039.html

And then there's a "Greenwich": http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/2292323855.html

My assumption is they're both in pretty sad condition, if their appearance in the photos is any indication....
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Cuppla 1960's plastic classics spied on the List of Craig

Post by Rachel »

Sailstar brand is basically the same as Bristol. I think one of the Pearsons bought Sailstar and later the company was named Bristol, i.e. "Sailstar Corsair" basically equals "Bristol 24." The ad may be for a Sailstar/Bristol Corinthian, at 19' (?)

The Allied Greenwich 24 (which it does look like, from what I can see), is a Stadel design that metamorphosed into the Cape Dory 25.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Rachel, is there anything you don't know about boats! You are amazing!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

SAILSTAR was a small sailboat builder in Rhode Island, Clinton Pearson bought SailStar in the early to mid 1960's after he left Pearson Yachts (soon after Grumman Allied bought Pearson). The company built mostly small centerboard daysailers and overnighters at first, mostly Robert Baker designs (including the 17' Explorer, rumored to be a copyright infringing copy of the O'DAY Day Sailer, later proved to be unrelated). Later Clint bought the rights to the Corsair 24 and eventually also had a few new designs commisioned for what became BRISTOL YACHTS. These were designs by Halsey Herreshoff and later Ted hood. I thin kthe smaller centerboard designs were discontinued in hte early 1970's, if not the late 1960's.
Some of those Baker Designs were:

19' ORION (daysailer and cruiser models)
19' Voyager (basically an ORION Cruiser with a fin-keel and inboard rudder)
17' Explorer (centerboard sloop, with cuddy)
17' Pioneer (Explorer with a fin-keel or steel centerboard)
17' STARFIRE (Explorer without cuddy)
17' DEFENDER (CB Sloop) [not sure how this relates to Explorer and other 17' models]
14' TALLSTAR (centerboard sloop with cuddy, minature Explorer)
14' METEOR (Tallstar w/o cuddy)
11.5' LITTLE BEAR (open CB sloop)
Sailstar also was the second? builder of the Alberg SEA SPRITE (23') after American Boatbuilding/BEETLE closed.
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21