Bluenose II

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Bluenose II

Post by Skipper599 »

... I've got a complaint. How come you guys on the east coast of Canada have not kept us informed of the rebuilding of BLUENOSE II ???

... I was surprised to see a short vid on its rebuild while watching the late night news. I wasn't even aware she was being rebuilt. Looks like they are going to make her a much better and stronger boat using current technology and materials. The vid i saw showed the raising of the frames. It would apper there is very little of the original boat to be reused. Basically the keel and a few iron fastenings is what I heard ... but that is suspect when spoken on TV news.

... Can anyone form Nova Scotia fill us in? Can you supply more info? Maybe even a few photo's?? Do we need to deputise someone to get on over to the shipyard doing the rebuild and report on this historic happening???

... Come on you guys, tell us what's going on over there on the other coast.............
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Re: Bluenose II

Post by Shark »

I heard about this rebuild some time ago and I think there was something about it in WoodenBoat also. There hasn't been too much about it in the media. I did hear that there was some controversy about the nature of the rebuild i.e. about how much of the original was to be saved and also the cost.

There are a number of webcam sites on the net. Here's one I found just now:

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south- ... z1GbDTVrKJ
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I hadn't heard about it until relatively recently also, and I live less than an hour from where the "rebuild" is taking place! Admittedly I don't watch TV or read newspapers, and don't listen to a lot of radio, but you'd think something like that would make the rounds of the boating community pretty quickly. The first I heard of it was someone complaining that they had burnt the planking to get rid of it. Can you imagine? Granted the boat was unsound as she was, so I assume the planking was compromised - but surely there were bits of it that they could have sold as souvenirs to recoup some small portion of the cost? Oh well.

The old boat's motors are now in a diesel engine school, being used as demonstration engines, and that's all I know about the rest of it, outside what has already been said, which is that it's not really a rebuild, but the construction of Bluenose III which they will name Bluenose II (in my opinion, naturally).

If I hear any more I'll happily post - I'm sure there is tons online, however.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for this Chris and Shark, the link is quite informative and some great pics too. ... Chris, I believe even if only one part from the old boat is used in such a project, it qualifies as a "Rebuild". ... In this case, I believe it said they would be reusing the keel? and something else so yes, it more than qualifies.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote: I believe even if only one part from the old boat is used in such a project, it qualifies as a "Rebuild". ... In this case, I believe it said they would be reusing the keel? and something else so yes, it more than qualifies.
If you use the dictionary it qualifies, and it seems that Lloyds of London will accept the result as being the same boat. If they are trying to save a piece of history then I do not think they are succeeding. Because of the modern techniques they may end up with a superior structure, but not historically accurate.

It is one thing to add some up to date things to a boat to pass inspection by the Coast Guard so as to be able to sail the boat, like was done with the Amistad. The hull and rigging were built using technology of the era of the original. Then an engine, electronics, safety gear and such were added to be approved as a sail training ship. Granted, this was not a rebuild at all, but a period facsimile, but all efforts were made to end up with the boat being as she would have been built originally. The Charles W. Morgan is being rebuilt now, exactly as she would have been. Some modern tools are being used, but the new components for the boat are exactly as they were originally. The Morgan will be an historic rebuild.

I guess it is a matter of what your goal really is. I think the Bluenose will be a modern facsimile of the original. As far as arguing the semantics of whether or not it is the same boat: I think the soul of the original is lost. But that position will surely be hard to argue as it is not objective.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Shark

Post by Shark »

The question of what constitutes a "rebuild" vs a "restoration" vs a "replica" has been argued for ever. The magazines, WoodenBoat and Classic Boat, have had and continue to have many articles regarding this debate and indeed feature many of the finished products of these efforts. I expect the debate will continue.

As noted above, the "soul" of the original may or may not have been lost, but on the plus side, the "concept" of the original lives on, albeit in a modified form perhaps. We can argue all we want and even be cynical about the motives of those responsible but the end results are still pretty amazing in a lot of cases.
Lyman
Shark 24
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Some very good points made in the various responses here, but are we possibly just dealing in semantics? ... Surely it is similar to differing opinions on what constitutes Art or Beauty? As they say, it's all in the eye or the mind of the individual. ... With me, it matters not that the new vessel is not a carbon copy of the original. No, it's more important they keep the spirit of the vessel alive. However, I also appreciate the view of those who would rather stay with the "original" design and construction for authenticity of reproduction. Each has its own values.

The "Bluenose" is a Canadian icon ... it is featured on every Canadian dime. We would not want to lose it. Who knows, if they build this one strong enough, maybe they will race her again. An east-coast schooner hard on the wind and with a bone in her teeth can be an awesome sight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Yep, they are doing a comprehensive rebuiding! You can watch it here: http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south- ... z1H0DC3DWV ( you'll have to cut and paste I'm afraid.)
They are using angelique for most of it and reusing the spars. Most of it will be new but it's the thought that counts! My understanding is the frames have been epoxy laminated but the planking will be carvel with galvanized fasteners. According to a friend deeply involved in the project, the cost of using bronze was over $250,000! The plan is to have the deck laid out more like the original rather than Bluenose2.
The interior will also be changed but since the public never sees that, I guess that'll be a crew issue.
I'm hoping to go see the project next week. I think it's great that they are doing such an extensive job. The poor quality materials used in 1963 have made it a constant battle to keep her seaworthy. I believe that when they are done she'll be a real beauty!
PS: they didn't chip all of it up. You can get small bits as souveniers (sp?) and I hope to snag one while I'm there. It'll go nicely with the piece of Old Ironsides I have on my old boat stuff shelf!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Shark

Post by Shark »

I was aboard the L.A. Dunton at Mystic back in the 70's. These schooners are remarkable. Being accustomed to our recreational sailboats, it's easy to lose a sense of the scale of these large fishing schooners and how difficult, physically, it must have been to sail them, especially on the Banks in bad weather.

I missed touring the Bluenose II the last time she was on Lake Ontario. I won't let that happen again the next time she comes here.
Lyman
Shark 24
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Shoalcove wrote:they didn't chip all of it up. You can get small bits as souveniers (sp?) and I hope to snag one while I'm there.
Ah - I'm glad to hear that, and sorry I spoke too soon, and critically. I should have checked first!
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

My cousin was home a couple weeks ago from out west and got a piece. I'm hoping to get a piece big enough to mount a barometer on or such. You should drop down for a look. It's not every day that something like this happens so close to home. There is also a pair of 50' schooners being built outside beside the Dory Shop. That's almost 250' of schooner construction just waiting to be drooled over!!

www.twinschooners.blogspot.com
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Wow! You say an additional PAIR of 50 footers are being built outside? ... That in itself is amazing. I wonder who commisioned those? Are they being built for commercial or pleasure user? ... Does anyone live close enough to go take some pics and post them here?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

The 50'ers are being built by the fellow that runs the Picton Castle. There are lot's of photos on the link I posted.
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for this Shoalcove, somehow I failed to notice the link for the schooners ... you're right, lots of pics and descriptions etc. I'll spend some time later this evening reading all of it.
Right now, looking at these pics, all i can say is, I don't envy those fellows working in the open like that. It's truly amazing how some people can build a boat almost anywhere, and on any terain while others (such as myself) think we need a warm comfortable shop.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

You are very welcome! Traditionally a lot of fishing boats were built outside during the winter; everyone would be too busy fishing and farming in the summer. Still it is impressive! Although I envy them their skill, I'm glad I have a cushy inside job. I have a soft spot for schooners and think that these three will be beautiful examples when complete. Perhaps you should plan a tour of the other coast to take a look.
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

You said: - "Perhaps you should plan a tour of the other coast to take a look"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, if you are referring to the Wet Coast, I regret to report - 'nothin' doin here'.

The last time any thing of note was built in BC was 1985 - 1986. That was when they built the "Spirit of Chemainus" and another vessel, the "Pacific Swift" was assembled at EXPO 86 - also the "Pacific Grace" - a replacement for the "Robertson II" (an east coast schooner) was built between 1995 - 2001,

Boatyards have been dead since then. I'll have to check south of the border in Washington State. Maybe something is going on there.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

I meant "other" in relation to the one you are already on! I guess I should have been more specific since I forgot that many refer to the west coast as the "other" coast. Come east; take a look!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Uh huh, ... I'd love to visit the east coast but cost of travel these days is rather prohibitive. I refuse to fly simply because of all the added taxes and fees of recent years. Price of fuel isn't helping much either. Driving is an option, but i would have a problem convincing my wife to make such a long trip and at my age, if I don't make the trip soon, it may never happen.

Meanwhile, i continue with my own efforts of making another vessel ready for splash day. Currently building teak grid board for the cockpit, boomkin and bowsprit. They're starting to look good, just waiting for some warm sunny weather to dry fit them to the boat.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'