Sea Sprite 30

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

Went to Annapolis to look at a Sea Sprite 30 on Monday....posted a bunch of pics here: http://gsosun1.gso.uri.edu/~brooke/Sea%20Sprite/

I know all you folks will love looking at these. The short story is that the boat is VERY clean, basically original, but probably needs a new fuel tank as the current one is weeping a little.

Sorry for the short post but I shut my right index finger in the car door today so typing is not the easiest...peruse the pics and if anyone sees anything weird please let me know. Will keep everyone posted as to what happens!
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Sea Sprite 30

Post by earlylight »

Wow, she looks exceptionally clean. Thanks for the great eye candy. :-) What year is she?
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think I've seen that boat in Maine before. (at some non-specific time in the past)

Thanks for the pictures. She looks pretty nice and well-maintained for her age. I'm glad to see some pictures of those hidden/non-glamorous spaces too!

Good luck.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Wrong water hose, or wrong fitting at the pump, or both.

Pet peeve here... Why do people leave the rig so loaded when the boat is on the hard???

A very nice boat, though. What's the sail inventory look like?
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

I noticed that about the rig too. Oddly the shrouds were fairly loose...it was just the backstay that was tight.

Sail inventory includes the original main and a roller furling jib and 150. So new sails are probably in the near future. When the Marlin gets sold will probably dictate exactly when that happens. Because I sail so much, sails and sail handling are the first things that I'll upgrade. Cabin/cosmetics/extras will come later.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Brodie wrote:... Because I sail so much, sails and sail handling are the first things that I'll upgrade. Cabin/cosmetics/extras will come later...
Atta girl!

I crawled through a C.E. Ryder boat a few years ago, and the hull work (hull-deck, chainplates, tabbing, etc.) seemed bulletproof.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Pet peeve here... Why do people leave the rig so loaded when the boat is on the hard???
One of the things I quite like about having tackle on the backstay. Easy on and off mast bend. I relax ours after every sail.

Great pics, thanks.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

This particular boat doesn't have any way to adjust the backstay except for the turnbuckle. yet another thing I plan on changing.

We reached an agreement on price this AM! Need to schedule a survey and sea trial now, very exciting!
SeaDog
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by SeaDog »

Brodie: Nice pics and great find. She has great bones and will be a great source of pleasure going forward. I picked up a SS34 a few years back and she was in similar condition - best thing I've done (perhaps you could say I live a boring life?). Enjoy!
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Were the size not an issue I would have looked seriously at this boat. Catches my eye every time I drive through the yard. Glad someone bought here who will (hopefully) take really good care of her! Congratulations!
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Survey is scheduled for Nov 30th...a little delayed because of the holiday.

Small world, Sailordave! She is right at the end of the row; I picked her out as soon as we drove into the yard not even knowing where the boat would be. Give her a pat for me if you're there over the winter - I'm not planning on going down for the survey, so I probably won't see the boat again until she arrives in RI in the spring.
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Very pretty boat. She shares some similarities with the Cape Dory. Love those designs. Best of luck.
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Yeah, it's amazing how a boat w/ great lines will catch your eye. I saw ARTFUL DODGER online but didn't want a boat that small. Forgot about it until a few months later when I was driving through the yard and saw that nice sheer. Went over to look and saw the HIN and realized OH YEAH, I remember this boat.
Same thing happened yest. Saw a really sweet boat wayyyyyy off in the distance on the hard and when I went to look it was a Sea Sprite 34 that the owner and I have been trying to hook up to take me sailing. Didn't recognize the boat on the hard at that distance.

Hope all goes well for you. Are they going to splash the boat for a sea trial? Let me know if you want someone to go along and watch!