Trailer needed for a Santana 525

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Trailer needed for a Santana 525

Post by solosailor »

I am in the process of purchasing a Santana 525. It's in California and I live in British Columbia. I need a trailer. These boats are similar to the Martin 242 or the J/24. The same or similar trailers work for all I am told. The boat is 24' 7" long over all. It's 2,400 lbs, but actual travel weight would be more like 2,800.

The ideal trailer would be a tandem axel but a good single is fine too. Surge brakes are a real plus as I am pulling it with a Toyota 4Runner.

Thanks for you assistance.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Trailer needed for a Santana 525

Post by One Way David »

I don't know of a particular trailer, but...

When looking at a boat a while back, I googled sailboat trailers and came up with a lot of choices, not all good. One fella down in Galveston (he did survive Ike) bought, sold, rebuilt trailers for just about any water craft. A very gragarious guy, telling me he knew my sister when in fact he didn't, but seemed it was just his salesman persona. He knew trailers very well and had the deal gone through, I'd bought one from him in a heartbeat. He also had ideas about how to get his trailers to where you needed them. I also found a few trailer rental sites. Sorry no links but should be on google.

For 24', consider a cradle and a flatbed bumper hitch trailer (ubiquitous).
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Trailer needed for a Santana 525

Post by solosailor »

Thanks David. I will try that. Actually I have seen a few ads on Craigslist. I guess I have a number of options.