Back in the bristol market

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

Back in the bristol market

Post by ghostwriter247 »

Hows it going guys? After my aborted attempt at sailboat ownership, im back in the boat market for a bristol 24 or 27 project.

Unfortunately (at least for boat buying) im in iowa now. Im looking online but having a hard time coming up with anything long distance. Anybody know of anything on the market? They seem to be fairly prevalent in the Northeast.

Anybody deal with Northeast sailboat rescue? He seems to be the best bet since he's got a yard full of boats and im having a hard time finding a private seller.

Thanks

Josh
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: Back in the bristol market

Post by The Froon »

Search sailboattrader.com

Look at "Bristol", "20 to 30" range.

There is one in either NJ or NY...

Brian
okawbow
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

There may be a 27 at my Marina for sale. I asked about it a while back, and the Marina owner asked if I was still interested last weekend. It is a real "project" though. Major refit has been started and it's sat on the hard for a long time. The Marina is in central Illinois on carlyle lake.

I sail a Bristol 24, and really like the boat. I've taken it down the rivers to the Gulf, and across to florida last year. I have a diesel in mine, and highly recommend the inboard version. The 24 has a reputation for being slow, but I regularly place well and even win PHRF races with mine.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
BristolJonny
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Friendship
Boat Type: Proline 23 stinkpot

Post by BristolJonny »

regarding NE Sailboat rescue, my good buddy bought a Catalina 27 from them this past winter and had a very good experience with them.
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

Thanks for the tips guys. The 27 sounds pretty good as its close for me. Its only about 6 hours. 300 miles would be a lot better haul than 1400.

It would really be nice if i could find one here in the midwest. There was a nice 24 very reasonable down in GA but it sold. Im still keeping an eye on yachtworld and sailboat listings, and a handful of others as well. If anything else comes up let me know and ill keep everybody updated on the search.

ANy opinions on the difference in sailing characteristics? Ive heard the 27s are a little more tender than the 24s. Do they firm up once over? I read over most of the posts on the owners group on yahoo but while there are lots of bigger bristols and 24s the 27s seem under represented.

Thanks again.

Josh
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

I figure it's too far but here's one near me.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1252829886.html
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

thats a great boat! The east coast is not too far, im just trying to find something closer right now. After following these little boats for a while it seems that unless i happen upon one here in the midwest, ill prolly half to run out and get one in the fall at the latest. Thanks for the tip. Im gonna keep an eye on her.

I really envy you guys who live around annapolis and the coast. The keys were great for that. boats everywhere and sailing winds most days.

Seeing these old boats just begs the question of why people went over to all fiberglass. My hunter was roomy, but just didnt have the style.

Josh
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher

Post by ghostwriter247 »

Anybody have any opinions on the b27 vs the b24? I've been in a b24, but not the 27. Seeing as how their is only 800lbs difference, its negligible, when taking about how easy they are to trailer. Hows the room and sailing differences? The drafts are both moderate, and they seem bullet proof. Their both so similar in terms of design, its hard to really go one way or the other.

Seems like the 27 overall is setup better with storage, but the 24 is pretty good too. I'll prolly setup for single handing, mostly on lakes right now, but seeing as how the great lakes are right here Id like something that doesnt have to run for the marina if the winds blow, which obviously not a problem with either of these.

Cost obviously is a factor, but then again it seems to be negligible once again when you figure in better resale value in a 27. Ill prolly be happy with either one i think, but was interested in what people thought.

Break
out
another
Thousand

Happy fourth everyone!