Roadtrip.....

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Roadtrip.....

Post by Tom Javor »

Headed to the Cape today to look at several boats there and one on the way.

The Flicka that was my main impetus for the trip was not where the broker said it was - boat is actually about 15 miles from my home, not the 75 or so I drove........brokers can be such special people.

Eventually tracked down the boat and saw it on my way home.
This one was an IB vesion which defintely was alot more pleasing to my eye than the OB version I looked at aweek or so back. Also had new interior upholstery - not a color I would choose but not entirely awful. Without going into a list - the other one showed better. Too bad it's an OB.

On the way out I stopped to look at a Mariesholm Folk Boat - the boat is at a good prie, well equipped and in decent shape. I like the reputation and it appears as if she would be fun to sail. However spending some time in the cabin mdeme realize I do want a bit more in the cabin. A main reason for changing from my S is to be able to do some occasional cruising. I don't doubt this boat would get me wherever quite well but after a night or two aboard I would be looking for a hotel.

Also looked at an Alberg Odyssey. Solid, rugged, traditional looking boat.
The owner has put a new interior in her in recent years and has given it a very "wooden boat" feeling. Maybe it's the overall air of the economy but as I looked at the boat (on a mooring that I rowed out to via dory - where was my trusty STABLE Dyer Dhow when I needed it?) I kept wondering "do I really need something this large?" This conversation with myself is always based on the assumption that we all have a basic need for a boat with some amount of size to it....

Tomorrow I'm headed to take a second look at a Cape Dory 25D - a design I had expected to really like that I was only lukewarm about. See what happens after a 2nd look....

Before anyone asks - yes I have pics but need a bit of time to sort through them all - I'll post some tomorrow.
TJ
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

My goodness Tom, are there any models left for you to discover? LOL. I feel that you are close! Good luck and keep us posted and pictured!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

The 25D...

Post by bhartley »

TJ,

We own a 25D and a Seasprite 23. I have loved our Seasprite since the second I laid eyes on her (it might have had something to do with the 11 hour drive). She is a joy to sail and look at. HOWEVER, commodious she is not! I looked for a 25D because there were just 2 of us, we could transport ourselves and standing headroom.

I was happy enough with the boat because it was a good price. NOT in love. Even in our yard, I kept thinking "I'd rather sail the SS23". NOT in love. Throughout the spring and all of the work of getting a slightly neglected boat ready for launch, I thought I would bond with the boat. No go.

Then... we launched. I sailed her. I slept on her. Cooked on her. Sat in the cockpit and enjoyed sunsets at anchor. Sailed in heavy air. Sailed in light air. I LOVE MY 25D. We have spent several weekends with three on board comfortably. The galley is very functional. The head is wonderful. The boat feels much larger than 25'.

I don't know what kind of sailing you do. I single hand a good bit, but find my husband sails with me far more on the 25D than he did on the SS23. We usually don't spend more than 2-3 nights at a time. If I had pressure water (and AC), I would probably never come home.

It took a while to fall in love, but I am firmly there now.

Happy shopping!

Bly
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bly wrote:It took a while to fall in love, but I am firmly there now.
I know exactly what you mean. I had a San Juan 24 when I bought my Vega, intending to sail the Vega for a year then make a choice between the two, but it didn't take that long.
The move from kneeling headroom to nodding headroom, the great galley, setees, and head, more than made up for the flash and speed of the SJ24. She sails well in all types of weather, has a relatively long water line (23'), moderate displacement (5070 lbs), a 3/4 keel, and just the right amount of weather helm. Single-handing is a breeze.

So Tom, good luck with your search. I know the 'right' boat will find you!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca