Flicka 20

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Flicka 20

Post by Tom Javor »

Heading off to look at several of the Flicka20's this week. Anyone have any experiene with them? I was on one years ago and recall it being pretty "spacious" for a 20 fter and quite nicely finished. Realize that the size swaps speed for space but they have a reputation for being fun to sail. I guess my interest stems from the thought process I put into the Sailmaster - a solid stable boat that could be trailered has a lot of appeal.

There are 2 boats in this general area that I'll most likely be looking at - one is outboard and the other has a small Yanmar. Not too keen on the OB option since it is stern mounted and drastically impacts the appearance. But - if I feel comfortable with the design - it would end up coming down to an issue of the numbers..

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences to share?
TJ
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Ever think about a Cape Dory 25D? Many of the same virtues as a Flicka (character, roomy for its' size, stable, seaworthy, marginally trailerable). Probably less expensive, but also quite 'marketable".
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

It might be a stretch to say that the Flicka is the most written about boat on the internet, but you can very easily fill two 4 inch binders with great information.

Here is where I would start.

http://www.flicka20.com/

I have admired this design from a far for quite some time (go figure) and their newsletters (Flicka Friends) is a great read and they had an excellent yahoo group.

Happy hunting.

Bill
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Duncan wrote:Ever think about a Cape Dory 25D? Many of the same virtues as a Flicka (character, roomy for its' size, stable, seaworthy, marginally trailerable). Probably less expensive, but also quite 'marketable".
Or, and much harder to find, the Cape Dory 26. Which is kind of similar to the 25D but with an outboard in a well (you mentioned you might go outboard).

Off topic, but I think an outboard well would be a great start for an electric drive project.

Cheers, Bill
David

Post by David »

Flicka's are very themed if you like that, fairly pricey and and not particularly speedy.