Not what I was looking for but....

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Not what I was looking for but....

Post by Tom Javor »

the price might be very right.

As I've said in prior posts - I've sold my 1929 Herreshoff S in order to be able to do some overnights and cruising. Started out looking only at older 'glas boats with very traditional lines; Cape Dories, Vineyard Vixens, Southern Crosses, more recently Bristols. Today I've come across something totally different - a 73 Cal 29 that could be at an exceptionally good price.

Anyone have any thoughts to share on these boats? Specific issues to look for?

Thanks for your input
TJ
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

I was thinking about one and found this site full of useful info, http://www.mariposasailing.com/index.html . It looks like he's going through a pretty comprehensive metal beam replacement currently. Make sure you check into that.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Tom,

I own a 1974 CAL 2-27 that I bought to own while working on my boat project. The boat, other than needing a replacement for a Volvo Penta inboard, has been a good boat. Though not particularly that “classic” to look at, she is a fine sailing boat, and relatively fast for this vintage sailboat.

I believe the hull is well built with a fairly thick laminate schedule. The decks on my boat are cored with marine plywood, that show zero signs of trouble. The fin keels on the CAL 27 and 29 are lead, and, I’m told well supported to take a grounding.

The cabins on these boats are fairly spartan, though there is no attempt to squeeze 6 berths into a sub 30 foot boat. I dislike the layout of the CAL 27-7 (mid-cabin at the head area), but the CAL 29 is much better, I believe. Storage is poor, with very few cabinets, but this can be enhanced. The V-berth is dark with inadequate ventilation, and I think the boat could benefit greatly by adding a large hatch on the foredeck.

I’ve seen a CAL 34, that was re-painted without the wide cove stripe, and the result was very nice.

Joe
Last edited by jhenson on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Tom - Question - who owns Hurricane now? and where?
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

Hurricane is still with me but is under agreement to Jay Arnold who used to own Olive (HMM 1127 I believe).
TJ
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

missed out

Post by Tom Javor »

Missed out on this one - she was listed on Ebay and went for a "best offer" of 2500 against a "buy it now" of 3000. Luckily this was today and I hadn't gone down to Mystic to look at her - as I had planned to do tomorrow. For the price she would have been a good boat while I waited for the right one to come along.
TJ
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Tom - Olive is 1128 owned by Josh Bernstein. Was jay the previous owner?
I'll have Steve update the records accordingly on Jay for both....
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

Yes - Jay was the prior owner of Olive, he bought her in early 90's in Ct.
Maynard Bray purchased Hurricane from Russ Pierce's famly in New Bedford area, not sure of the date. He brought her to Me with him and she was bought as Spirit by Jack Greene of Saunderstown RI in the 80s. I purchased her in the fall of 94 and returned her to the prior name of Hurricane. (originally Barracuda and then Riptide) The history of the New Bedford Yacht Club says she was dismasted in 38, was one of few (2?) boats ot survive on ther moorings in Padanaram Harbor. She was renamd following the storm. The rig in her is original HMM spars - they were salvaged from a boat (forgotten but maybe Iris??) lost in the storm. Both Hurricance (1994 - 1996)and Olive (maybe 98 - 00) were exstensively restored by George and "Mike" Zachorne in Wickford, RI.
TJ
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks - I'm checking the registry to see if we are in synch....
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

Post by Tom Javor »

In 1994 (75th anniversary) the Narragansett Bay S Class published a history with a class registy in it - it was pretty complete. Unfortunately I never got a copy - you might try seeing if the HMM has a copy in the library.
TJ
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yep we have it....Just is a bit outdated now....And as Steve puts it he's woefully behind transferring the data from it....
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

S registry

Post by Tom Javor »

Adam-

Hurricane has gone to her new owner and is currently in the water to take up for awhile. I've heard through the rumour mill that that the S class is publishing another book for this year's 90th anniversary of the class. They're currently tracking down info on boats, etc. I'll check to see who is compiling the info.

Tom
TJ
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tom - Interesting - I'll ask about. The Western Long Island Sound S-Class association is helping us document a few as we speak - I'll see if they heard anything....We've actually "found" a few new ones in the past two months...

If you get that name, let me know - Steve has a lot of info that may be useful for them.