Bristol 32s and 35s....

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Bristol 32s and 35s....

Post by Tom Javor »

The search continues for the next boat and I've broadened it a bit.....can anyone give me any thoughts on the Bristol 32s and 35s? Also the 32 ketch. Or the web address for an owners' group...

Thanks for your help.
TJ
David

Post by David »

http://www.bristolowners.org/boats.html

Both are nice boats. They have the typical issues of old Bristol Yachts--good and bad--as well as older boats in general.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

They both have beautiful lines. I would definitely consider both were I looking for a boat in that size range. I would prefer a Hinckley Pilot yawl or sloop if money had nothing to do with it, but it usually does.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
David

Post by David »

Both are mid 60's designs--first generation Bristols. The 32 is a Ted Hood design, with a DWL length slightly less than my 29. The most famous 32 is probably Kestrel: sailed across the Atlantic singlehanded and center punched a much larger ship off the UK without major disruption. The 35 is an Alden design with a little more beam. Both are relatively small boats like all first gen Bristols, meaning they are good sea boats but not a lot of room for stores.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

deck construction......

Post by Tom Javor »

are they solid or cored decks? if so, with what?
TJ
David

Post by David »

They have solid glass hulls and the decks are cored with end grain balsa.
Last edited by David on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.