Pearson Aero 24 (lonely child?)

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
mikebasler
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Pearson Aero 24 (lonely child?)

Post by mikebasler »

I own a rare 1962 Pearson Aero 24, built in Sausilito CA by Aero Marine Plastics the same Co that built the West Coast Tritons.My hull# is 15, I THINK that no more than 20 were built.I have never seen another in 40 yrs. of sailing although a friend saw one in Avila CA about 1 yr. ago.I also know there were 2/3 in Ventura CA(my home port) in the 70,s.The boat is unusual as it is a Wm. Tripp design with a doghouse that "slides forward" on rails to uncover the main cabin(a slide- forward instead of a pop-top.) I also have poor copy of the original Pearson sales literature.Are there any more Aero 24's out there??? or do I have the last one??I sail it almost every week out of Ventura.I doubt if any every ever made it to the East Coast.Comments appreciated.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

I own a rare 1962 Pearson Aero 24
I for one would love to see a photo!
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Aero 24

Post by Stubrow »

Just happened to see an article by Ted Jones who once worked with Bill Tripp Jr.

The reason you've never seen any others (according to the article anyway) is because there aren't any others. Only 1 was built. (presumably this is your boat).
Pearson acquired the prototype and original tooling from Aeromarine, but never built any.

Since this was a west coast company, he may have been mistaken. Aeromarine may have in fact built others before it was bought out by Pearson.

rb
mikebasler
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Pearson Aero 24 lonely child?

Post by mikebasler »

Stubrow,thanks for your reply but the boat in your article is not my boat as my hull # is 15 and I know there were at least 3 in Ventura in the 80's.
Stubrow

Re: Pearson Aero 24 lonely child?

Post by Stubrow »

So the article must have been wrong. It still sounds like the same design to which the article refers. I would love to see the brochure, no matter what kind of condition it's in. It was a Pearson brochure did you say?
mikebasler wrote:Stubrow,thanks for your reply but the boat in your article is not my boat as my hull # is 15 and I know there were at least 3 in Ventura in the 80's.
mikebasler
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Pearson Aero 24

Post by mikebasler »

I haven't learned how to post an attachment.Maybe my wife will be able to help.It is a copy of a Pearson sales brochure but the illustrations are poor.
Stubrow

Re: Pearson Aero 24

Post by Stubrow »

Sent you a PM. If you send it to my Email address I will upload it to my site and then link it here so others can see it. The actual file needs to be stored elsewhere.

Randy Browning
Norwlk,CT
mikebasler wrote:I haven't learned how to post an attachment.Maybe my wife will be able to help.It is a copy of a Pearson sales brochure but the illustrations are poor.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

The Tripp "Aero 24" that Ted Jones mentions in his article sure sounds like the same boat - right down to the sliding doghouse. That feature seems distinctive.

I don't know how to copy/paste text this type of file, but here is a link to it. If you look at the actual magazine page numbers, the author starts talking about the "Aero 24" on page 70.

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20070203/?pg=59

I would love to see what this boat looks like!

Rachel
Stubrow

Aero 24

Post by Stubrow »

Rachel wrote:The Tripp "Aero 24" that Ted Jones mentions in his article sure sounds like the same boat - right down to the sliding doghouse. That feature seems distinctive.

I don't know how to copy/paste text this type of file, but here is a link to it. If you look at the actual magazine page numbers, the author starts talking about the "Aero 24" on page 70.

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20070203/?pg=59

I would love to see what this boat looks like!

Rachel
Yes. the very same article I saw. We can only hope that we hear from our friend again so he can upload the brochure, a picture, or something.