1964 Columbia 24

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Sridge
Bottom Sanding Grunt

1964 Columbia 24

Post by Sridge »

Just wondering if a 1964 Columbia 24 qualifies for this forum.....I have owned the boat for almost 10 years.....and she is showing some wear and tear. Will be doing some upgrades this winter, new hatch covers, new toe rail and some other projects. She is a sweet boat to sail, and I can't wait to get my projects finished and hit the water again. Any help with new toe rail would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
Sridge
Steve W. Ridge
JohnS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by JohnS »

Most certainly, I'd guess. I'm a newbie here myself, and received a warm welcome when I introduced myself and my '65 Islander 32. If my boat qualifies, I'd imagine yours would, also.

BTW, your boat and mine share a pedigree of sorts. Here's one version of the story: http://www.columbia-yachts.com/islander.html

And let be the first to say it: We like pictures here. Let us see what you're working on.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

I'm pretty sure there are no formal "qualifications" for this forum. The more the merrier. You could have the ugliest, most un-classic one-off ferrocement hulk ever made, and most of us would still love to see pictures and encourage you to proceed with repairs in ways we wouldn't experiment with on our own boats!

To the contrary, the 24 and pretty much every other Columbia is a "plastic classic" in my own book.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: 1964 Columbia 24

Post by Hirilondë »

Sridge wrote:Just wondering if a 1964 Columbia 24 qualifies for this forum.....
Sridge
We have discussed the definition of plastic classic here a few times and we still haven't defined it yet. About the only thing we agree on is that you have to take lots of pictures of your boat to qualify. So the simple answer is yes. Welcome Sridge.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Ceto »

Has there been a cut-off year for the boat at which point a newcomer would be frowned upon?

What I mean is that, would you allow the owner of a 1997 plastic boat in the forum?
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com