CT-37 and the Tayana 37

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

CT-37 and the Tayana 37

Post by solosailor »

Are these the same boat? I have googled the CT-34 but I'm not getting anything when I google CT-37?

The CT-34 is a beauty I was hoping the 37 was a scaled up version?
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Triton106 »

Solosailor,

Here is what John Garden said about CT34 and Tayana 37:

From John Gardner (CT 34 Hull #20 - Type B built in 1978 - original owner who is responsible for the design of the Type B model configuration): I was told that the hull was originally done by Bob Perry but I have my doubts. I spent too many years in Tiawan and watched every yard steal from each other or "borrow" molds for a month or two. CT built all their own boats. Hans Christian came later and may have "Borrowed" a mold and sprung their own from it. The original mold was sprung by CT to become the CT36 which went to Ta Yang and became the Tayana 37.

Ta Chio yard (CT builder) is located in Taipei which is in northern Taiwan and Ta Yang yard (Tayana builder) is located in Kaihsiung which is located in Sounthern Taiwan. When I visited Tayana yard last year they actually showed me the CT34 mold which is now just sitting there collecting dust (too bad because it is such a beautiful cruiser). It seems everything they build now is 42' and over. When I asked for a quote on a Tayana 37 they actually had to run a custom calculation because they don't stock parts for Tayana 37 anymore even though it is technically still in production.

Best regards,
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by gone2ddogs »

Searching the net I see an 1982 TAYANNA 37 for sale in Spain. This the boat your thinking of?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/10812

John R.
Triton Yawl #15
Silver Girl
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

that's it

Post by solosailor »

that's the boat.