New member looking for some advice

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

New member looking for some advice

Post by Tom Javor »

Evening everyone, I'm a new member to the board. Let me ell you abiy about myself. Live in RI, been around boats (mostly sail, some power) for most of my life. For the last 14 years I have owned a 1929 Herreshoff S Boat, she is currently under agreement to sell. Additionally I have a 'glas Blue Jay and Dyer Dhow.

For the first 2 years I owned the S she was in the shop for a fairly exstensive professional restoration. Given that fact - and her wooden constrution - I am very familiar with both restoration and maintenane projects. My decision to change boats was not based on the maintenance work - rather it is based on the fact that the S is strictly a racing or bare bones daysailing boat. She is beautiful and sails like a dream but has absolutely no accomodations, sanitary, or galley facilities. (and looks like hell if I hang an outboard off her stern) M life has changed bit in recent years and I am now interested in some degree of cruising - the ability to sail somewhere and sleep in relative comfort is appealing.

My requirements in a "new to me " boat is that it be in the 27 -32 ft range, have a head (shower would be nice but not necessary), some degree of galley (icebox and at least 2 burner stove, oven not necessary), inboard power or outboard in a lazarette, sleep 4 or more.
Coastal cruising capable. Solid to heavy contruction. Traditional lines.
Brightwork is desireable, wooden spars would not be a problem though I accept the inevitability of aluminum and its annoying "pinging".

So far I've limited my search to the Cape Dories - have looked at 25's (too cramped), 25 D's (not sure I'm willing to live without stowage supplied by a V berth, 28 (sold before I hada agreement on mine) and 30's (local ones seem too $$ and not ready to get involved in a long distance/in land purchase). I've also looked at Pearson 33 (seemed too big to be on a tiller adn engine was shot), Sabre 28 (nice boat but sold) and a Southern Cross 28 (interior was a mess). Beyond the fact I've always likd Cape Dories, the presence of an active owners association and message board is appealing.

I'm here to get some input as to designs folks may suggest I should be looking at. My knowledge of yacht designs pretty much ends at about 1940 - I've been a Herreshoff fan for years.

I look forward to reading people' thoughts and I'm sorry this has gone on so long.

Thanks in advance.
TJ
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

TJ,

Welcome, If you are looking for opinions, you have come to the right place. I agree with your assessment of the S boats, Beautiful but like the IOD, and many other beautiful, sleek boats is only practical for racing.

There are thousands of boats that could meet your needs. In addition to the boats you have mentioned, some of the "brands" that come to mind are Pearson, Bristol. Seafarer and Sea Spite. When we decided to step up from our Sea Sprite 23 the "spousal requirement" for the new boat was a shower. We started with the CD 27 and 28 bit found that the head was too small to spin around with the door closed and therefore not suitable for a shower. We tried many many boats and slowly but surely as we got used to length vs. accommodations we ended up concentrating on Luders 33, Tartan 34C and Alberg 35. All were larger than the original plan but we settled on the Luders and I have not looked back.

My starting point was Soundings magazine they list many boats sorted by power and sail and by length. Great way to take a broad stroke at what is out there. It is certainly a buyer's market right now.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi TJ,

I have always loved the S Boat. Nice ride.

I am partial to the Pearson Triton that is designed by Alberg. Other boats that I am partial too, that are a bit larger, is the Alberg 30 and the Pearson Vanguard - as designed by Rhodes.

If you want a gaff rigged boat with lots of volume check out an oyster smack. The model I like is 28' long and displaces 8 tones. It is like the bristol channel cutter. There is a company in England that makes them of glass with wood spars and a wood house. I know of one available in North America if you want to contact me for more info.

Good luck with your search.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I've got an alberg 35 I think it fits your bill...but slightly longer. Be happy to send you detail shots of any portion that you would like or chat about what it is like.

I'd also suggest the Vanguard 32. Almost a 9/10ths version of the Alberg, but no shower.

Friend of mine has a Vanguard 32. When I am on it I feel at home...just a slightly smaller home.

The vanguard does have a prettier sheer.

Both great boats.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Tom - There are a few of the Cape Cod Shipbuilding Herreshoff "Blue Chip 30's" around - esp in your area. They sail very nice based on the H-12 1/2. Accomodations similar to the era - IE Late 50's through 60's designed CCA boats (Tritons, Albergs, etc...). Much more sheer Makes her very noticable as a Herreshoff.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

There are a few of the Cape Cod Shipbuilding Herreshoff "Blue Chip 30's" around - esp in your area.
Does anyone have a picture of one of these boats? I was searching online yesterday and could not find any.

To the OP: I am a few years away from making a very similar decision, but of course, being a boat nut, am already thinking about what's "next". I have a similar boat in that it is strictly a daysailer, no head, no galley, nothing down below except a place to store the spinnaker and the cockpit cushions. (BTW I'm in Jamestown so I've probably sailed by you at some point). Aesthetically I'm not a huge fan of the Alberg designs (Pretty but just a little blah to me). I've been looking at the Bristols, there was a black hulled Bristol 32 in the mooring field near me this year and it was gorgeous. I'll probably end up a little smaller, so maybe a B29 or 30, which are basically the same boat with a slightly different cabin top (from what I can tell). The B29/30 is a Halsey Herreshoff hull.

Good luck, and I'll be interested to follow this post to see what you end up with!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

added to the list

Post by Tom Javor »

the Blue Chip has been added to my list for the exact reason you've mentioned. The sheer is beautiful, the cabin house not so much but life is about compromises.. I've also started looking for a Vineyard Vixen 29 - very pretty double ender, reminiscent of LFH's Rozinante
TJ
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher

meant to say...

Post by Tom Javor »

If any one knows of aBlueChip on the market I'ld appreciate the info.

thanks!
TJ
Adam

Post by Adam »

Tom - Hull #1 (CCSB 1-67) was for sale a few months back. I have the contact info - but he's out in Kansas City of all places. That hull was for some reason modified by Mr. Sid from his original plans (and all the other Blue Chips) by a deepened draft (extra 8"). Not sure why. I know of three others - none of which are for sale. Let Wendy or Andrea at CCSB know and I'm sure they would keep an eye out.

I've sailed the VV29 and 34’s as well. More tender as would be expected, and not as pretty a sheer as the BC or Roz, but one definitely sees the lineage...the 29 was on my short list for a number of years.